Turks & Caicos Explorer in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy, Thinking of doing the T&C Explorer in early May. I've done the CEX2 out of St. Kitts and it was great (great diving and crew), though the boat is a bit dated. The T&C Explorer looks much nicer - nicer than the T&C Aggressor, in fact. Anyone done it lately and have any impressions? Also looking for thoughts on conditions. The RDB and I get cold and I'm wondering in particular about water temperatures. It's early May and the tourist site says something like 74-78 F. Anyone have realistic assessments/data.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Thanks! Looks like a real measurement, at least. Probably near the surface and thus a little warmer, but still good info.

t

I did the TCExII a few years ago and I loved it. The boat is by no means a "5 Star Resort", but it is very comfortable and well laid out. The big thing that I found was that the crew were so welcoming that before we even left the dock, we were being treated like family. (That of course includes a little good natured teasing.) The dive deck is well laid out and comfortable. The main salon is relatively spacious and as I said, very quickly, you will be viewing it as your living room in your home. The cabins were comfortable and had everything I needed.

The crew were simply amazing. The Captain JF was able to help out with minor equipment issues and he always put the safety of the boat, crew and pax ahead of other concerns. The dive masters on the week that I was there were two sisters from the UK, Bunjee Jo and Pippa. Their dive site briefings have to be seen to be believed. IMHO, they set the industry standard.

As for the diving, for the most part, all of the dives were wall dives, and the week was very "sharky". We saw reef sharks virtually every day if not every dive. For some reason that I won't even try to understand let alone explain, the boat has one weird idiosyncrasy while moored at a dive site. It gets blown around a lot in a strange figure 8 pattern. If you get back to the spot where you jumped in, don't be surprised if the boat isn't there. You can either go to the mooring line and ascend there or you can wait a few minutes and the boat will be back. Having said that, if you grab on to the "hang bar" for the safety stops, it can be quite a ride. :)

TCI-4.jpg

The Main Salon/Dining Room

TCI-77.jpg

The Dive Deck

TCI-37.jpg

Typical dive site: A sandy flat area and then a sheer wall.

TCI-105.jpg

Hangin' out at the safety stop.

Surf-Forecast.com offers current water temp.s for Grace Bay Cut, Providenciales, if I understand correctly. Be interesting to know how broadly applicable that might be. Also wonder if there's much chance it may get cooler instead of warmer.

Richard.
Water temps will slowly and incrementally rise from now through September

I did the T&C Explorer II last April and loved it -great boat & crew and fantastic cook. Good dives with large critters on most dives-reef and nurse sharks and goliath snappers. The crew was very
helpful ,plus you cannot miss any of the night dives. Would highlysuggest this Excursion..

There's no question which TC LOB vessel I would choose-I've been on the TCEX2 4x and would go back 40x over. Here's a more in depth review of my experience on the TCEX2 back in December 2016.
great review of TCEX2 , I had same experience- Joe & JP were great DM's but Jo was on vacation but met her on last day -what a gas. Had them looking at me when I presented a PADI Zombie Apocalypse Diver Specialty card as my C-Card, none would believe that it is a Padi speciaty-then I handing them my phone with all pro certs. Was a fun filled week with great diving-looking forward to my next trip on boat.

Sadly, JP is no longer on the TCEX2 but for anyone here on this post, I would ask the EV office and confirm that Jo is working the week you are going. Her dive briefings and overall personality on this boat is something to witness first hand. Ask anyone on SB regarding the TCEX2 and all will tell you Jo is someone you definitely want on board if you want your experience to be that much more memorable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom