Turret of Monitor raised

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"...a skeleton was found inside the turret speaking to today's Matt Lauer"???? Well, that's what it said.

Yesterday's news reported that they had found a fairly well preserved skeleton inside the Monitor which they beleive to be one of the crew. A rather remarkable find I would suspect.

landlocked once bubbled...
Yesterday's news reported that they had found a fairly well preserved skeleton inside the Monitor which they beleive to be one of the crew. A rather remarkable find I would suspect.

I heard this report too. I like the way they say that they "believe" it was a member of the crew. Unless the poor guy had scuba gear on I would think it's pretty certain he was a member of the crew......

Tom

I know next to nothing about wrecks, ancient or recent, so this is a "newbie" question.

In the 1862 photograph - is that the said turret in the background? It certainly doesn't appear to match the scale of the current photo of the turret being raised. If it is not - what exactly is that in the background of the 1862 photo?

Thanks for any historical info,

Scuba-sass :)

Tom - maybe he was a lost freediver... :eek:ut:

what was raised is the part immediately under the "china mans hat" that is visisble in the old photo. The object raised probably fit inside the large bottom portion that is visible in the old photo.

I read a rather long and detailed article on the preparations and final raising of the Monitor turret. I too was amazed they found any identifiable human remains inside!! Just imagine all the wrecks out there that could have remains on them.

Reeflover

Thought i would resurrect this thread as i got a chance to see the turret in Newport News Va. last week. They are currently in the process of restoring it at the Mariners Museum in Newport news.

Definately, worth the trip to see. It's an excellent museum and the Monitor display makes it just that much better. Heres a link:
http://www.mariner.org/ ... visit if you can!

Back
Top Bottom