Tusa Visulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barker_23

New
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here.

About 2 months ago i passed my PADI open water. I had purchased the Tusa Visulator Mask about a year before and had been snorkelling with it loads of times and had no problems.

On my second open water dive i had a problem with them mask leaking. I had slight panic attack but managed to get over it. I never had any problems with them mask in the training pool. Im not sure if it was because i was wearing a hood with it or not??

I asked the instructor at the time and she said that the Visulator mask is quite big and maybe too big for my face.

Now i havent been diving again since then, and im planning on going next month, im not sure if i should get a new smaller mask or not, or just try the visulator out once more and see if i feel better with it.

Hope someone can help

Many Thanks

Rich

I would think that, if the mask is good enough to snorkel with, there's no reason why it shouldn't be good enough for scuba. The hoodie may have played a role and if wearing it makes it impossible for your mask to seal properly then yes, maybe you might want to get a smaller mask. That's not the first thing I would go do though. Maybe try out a few other things first like are you equalising your mask often enough for instance?

A few things might be at play here - most of them would revolve around something interfering with the seal. Let's face it (no pun intended), if it sealed during snorkeling and in the pool, it should be fine in the open water.

Is it possible hair was under the seal? Or a hood? How about if the mask was not positioned properly or when you put it on the edge rolled under?

Another tack to explore is that if you wore it with a hood for the first time it may have actually been too tight if you didn't adjust it. If you over-tighten the mask it will often cause the edge to roll out a bit and not get a good seal. Loosen it up a bit when putting it on over a hood.

One other thing - carefully look at the seal along the edge. Pull it slightly to stretch it a bit. Is it damaged? Does it show cracking? It may be that the seal is no longer intact.

Hope that one of these may help.

Hi Rich-
We would echo the comments already made, additionally if the M-14 was fitted properly at your authorized TUSA retailer and it has not leaked on previous uses chances are something as suggested was preventing a good seal. If the mask has been rinsed and stored properly the skirt should be intact, but check it out as well. The M-16 Serene is a mid-sized version of the M-14 if that is a direction you would like to go. And Congrats on becoming an OW diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom