Tv vs Av vs Manual - Aperture Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon S50 / DC300 housing / D2000 and shoot RAW and need some advice...

I have done extensive research on all of the past posts on camera settings and feel I am proficient enough to shoot Manual (adj aperture and shutter speed, iso, etc). However it seems as though I am limited by the DC300 housing when it comes to adjusting the aperture (atleast I can't figure a way out to do it in Manual with the housing). I guess my question is what is the best solution:

Shoot in Tv - I set/adj the shutter speed and camera selects aperture
Shoot in Av - I set/adj the aperture and camera selects aperture
Manual - I HAVE to set a specific aperture, and have the ability to adj shutter speed

I am leaning towards the last option (Manual with a specific aperture), but am looking for advice. In addition, if I have to choose a specific aperture, what should it be ( I am going to Bonaire in a week) around 4.5 - 6? Also keep in mind, I am shooting RAW and will do post editing.

Thanks.

I think I'm going to PM Alcina as well.

Thanks.

Manual is always better! The ability to control depth of field and focus with manual makes it preferable..... The great thing about digital is your ability to look at the picture and get feedback so you can try different setting! Keep shotting!

I think I'm going to PM Alcina as well.

Thanks.

Good idea, hope she posts the answer here for the rest of us to benefit.

I have a Canon housing with similar limitation and typically shoot av but keeping an eye on the shutter speed that is giving me. I don't often shoot in clear warm waters so depending on whether or not I am using the flash I am all over the aperture range.

Good luck.

Alison

Stick with manual, set shutter speed to 80-100 and set the F-stop somewhere in the 5.6-6 range to start with. If you can manually adjust your internal flash power, use that to adjust exposure. If you camea supports histograms by all means turn it on and learn to use it. It is a much much better method of determing exposure than looking at the LCD.

Thanks to all, and especially you Herman. I am using an external strobe (Inon D2000), so I am able to adjust exposure and can view the histogram.

Hi Mike,

You are able to access all the S50 functions with the DC300 housing. When you hold down the bottom left button (light metering mode) the set/control buttons 'left/right' becomes 'up/down'.
So in maunual mode left and right adjusts shutter speed and light metering mode button + left/right will adjust the appeture.

Hope this helps.

Like usual its user error....Thanks a million Adriaan557 !! That did it !!

Back
Top Bottom