TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - October 7-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From GO DODGERS to OH NO DODGERS (so near, yet so far) . . .

LOBSTER OPENER REPORT - Well, it looks like we made it through the first week of lobster season with the only victims being lobsters. Whew!!! Traditionally - and this is one time we're happy to break with tradition - we see one or two fatalities in the first week. Not so this year, so congrats and kudos to all of you safe divers out there. And let's keep up the good work. There was an accident on the opening day but I wouldn't call this a lobster season accident in the way we normally would. Down in the San Diego area about an hour after the start of lobster season, a young man was bitten by a large shark while free-diving for lobsters. And while some have called this a lobster season accident, it's not in the way we normally think about it. Normally, when we talk of accidents of this nature, we're referring to some aspect of diver error factoring in. This could be out-of-air, entanglement, etc. And lobsters are generally not on a shark's palette, although sea lions are. My presumption is that this wetsuit-clad lad resembled a sea lion to the shark, and that's why he got bitten. Wrong place, wrong time. (I also haven't seen anything one way or the other to indicate that the kid was even carrying any caught lobsters at the time of the bite.) The good news is that, even though his bites were severe and potentially life-threatening, quick action by bystanders got him to shore and medical attention at a San Diego hospital did the rest. He's been released as of this writing and is expected to make a full recovery.

SULAWESI EARTHQUAKE & TSUNAMI REPORT - Many of you have written to ask is our friends at Murex in Manado were affected by the terrible earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi, Indonesia, the other week. Fortunately, they were not. They released a statement that includes a map showing where they are in relation to the most-affected areas of Palu (not to be confused with Palau) as well as some suggestions as to how you can help if you'd like to. You can read their statement here:Sulawesi Tsunami, News and Latest Update - Murex Dive Resorts

HOW ABOUT AVALON THIS SATURDAY? - This coming Saturday, we'll make another one of our one-day forays over to dive the Avalon Underwater Park. We'll once again leave out of San Pedro on the 8AM Catalina Express boat and leave Avalon at 5:30PM. This gives us plenty of time to do three dives and take a nice break for lunch. And the extended weather forecast is looking very good, with a sunny day and a high of 79º as the prediction. So if you're looking to get out and go dive, come join us!!! The Giant Sea Bass are still around, the water's warm, and the viz was pretty good a week ago so you never know. Either e-mail us here or call us at 310/652-4990 to get signed up.

BY THE ROCKET'S RED GLARE - I'm not going to win any photo contests with this but I was able to take a break at 7:21PM this evening (Sunday) to go up to our rooftop and could see the launch of the Space-X rocket from Vandenberg. I'm a space nut from way back when. When I was a kid, I used to wake up in the middle of the night and turn on the (black-and-white) TV to watch the Ranger probes smash into the moon. In 1973 when I was working in Florida, I got press passes to be at Kennedy for one of the Skylab crew launches. So this was right up my alley. For those photographically-inclined, this was shot hand-held, 70mm lens, 1/4 sec exposure @ f4.5, ISO-6400.
K18_8048(LR6)%20(6).jpg

BEWARE THE KRAKEN
- Thanks to Gina Lee-Lua for turning me on to this. It's the story of a ship call the "Kodiak Queen" but it had a special history. Although it was an Alaskan fishing boat, it's original identity was as a ship that survived the bombing of Pearl Harbor and which was eventually converted to other duties. It was rusting in the British Virgin Islands when some people wanted to see about turning it into an artificial reef and then learned of its past. Richard Branson got involved as well and it was decided that the ship could be converted into a diveable wreck as well as made into an underwater art project (which is where the Kraken comes in). If you've got 16 minutes to spare, take a look at the documentary they made about the entire project and the value they hope it will provide to BVI, especially in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma:

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Ken,
Thanks for sharing...
I was never an outer space fan .
Yet I have been invited to several Vandenberg launches and can view then from my home
.I have always been a interspace oceans fan
Recall -- " You cant grow rice on the moon?"

The Kraken was certainly interesting - well worth the 16 or so minutes required to watch it.
Long before dive travel became popular my SoCal tribe discovered the VI and dove with Duncan and Annie Muirhead first off the Misty Law, then the larger boat the Lammer Law and finally the super Cuan Law.. so many memories of times and dives that passed all too soon -

A big thank you to Gina Lee-Lua

Sam Miller, 111

One thing that never changes are the violators who seem to pick opening weekend to get caught.
From the DFW website;
Wildlife officers from inland regions of Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego counties converged on the coast to pool resources and enhance coverage. Both shore-based patrols and boat patrols were utilized. In total, officers made 2,088 contacts with lobster fishers, gave 165 warnings and issued 106 citations. Citations included overlimit of lobster and other fish, take of undersized lobster and other fish, unlawful take from Marine Protected Areas, lobster report card violations, an unlawful Commercial Passenger Fishing Vessel operation and even a DUI.

One particularly notable case was in San Diego, where wildlife officers on boat patrol pulled up on a vessel with two persons on board. Upon approach, the men started throwing lobsters overboard. The officers quickly boarded the vessel and located 26 lobsters hidden throughout. The men were cited for an overlimit of lobster and report card violations. Another significant bust and citation occurred farther north in Orange County, where two wildlife officers made one case involving 27 lobsters taken the night prior to the opener (thus out of season).

Hope to see you Saturday, Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom