• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No Preference.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

went to a tech talk a while ago and this issue was brought up. One major problem that was discussed was the difficulty in getting to the valves when you start adding in side mounts.

DiverDave once bubbled...
went to a tech talk a while ago and this issue was brought up. One major problem that was discussed was the difficulty in getting to the valves when you start adding in side mounts.

Yeah, I didn't think of that one Dave. Almost all of the dives I do now I have at least one AL80 stage and many times two... don't think I'd be able to reach those valves with two stages on. This I think is one of those things that looks like a good idea on the surface but if you really stop and think about it the "good" becomes bad pretty quickly.

WW.. The reason I think it's more likely to be an entanglement hazard is due to where it's at. With the valves behind your head you're much more likely to see what's coming and avoid it. I sure wouldn't want to get in a tight place in a cave with that setup... they way that cage is on there it could "lock" you into a spot pretty good.

I'm not even going to start on the tank boots in the pic..... haha..

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Fair go Rob, the boots are there to protect his head................

To be fair to the diver in question he damaged his shoulder(s) in a motorcycle accident and he can't raise his arm up high enough to do a shutdown.

R..

Could also be because its a legal requirement of the new UK2002 Tank regs that ALL tanks have a means of self standing (ie boots):(

They really thought that one through eh?, how are stages and Inspiration tanks gonna fair with boots on

From what I've heard, it only really applies when being tested. So, for me it's going to be a case of take cylinders to place of testing, take cylinders out of car, put boots on, get them tested. Retrieve cylinders, remove boots, go diving.

If they're HSE regs, they don't apply to amateur diving anyway...

Chris

Unfortunately the dive shop doing the pumping IS covered by the HSE as they are charging for it

Yep, I can see a side line in Loaner tank boots for each shop

Guys, I'll add to this as I do use a set similar to Nigel's. First off the isolator is rarely used as the first stage valves are very easy to shutdown and as most problems are a 1st stage freeflow its solved quickly and easily. The centre Isolator can be angled so that makes reaching it easy too. Length of tanks can sometimes make sitting on a boat difficult but I use long 10's so its not an issue. Hose routing - wing inflate up through the tanks and over shoulder. 1st stage primary across chest and hog looped, 1st stage secondary - up around back of tanks and bungeed under chin after passing over right shoulder. No nightmare hose routings honest. The only non standard hose is the wing inflate. The d/s feed is passed under right arm and up into the valve.
I also have mobility problems and I like the ability to be able to very easily throttle on/off the tank valves "IF" I get a free flow. Incidentally the Police and the Navy divers and the fire brigade all use this inverted policy. You know the tanks only went valve up because the old twin hoses were easy to route around the neck/head to feed the dv when they fitted the 1st stage to the tank. So please guys dont hammer something unless you have tried it - it doesnt all have to be a one size fits all sport you know.
Best wishes
Matt

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom