Two Cruiseboat Passengers Rescued after Fall off Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AXL72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
You all hear about the Gulf of Mexico incident regarding the two cruis ship passengers falling off the cruiseship and being rescued after 5 hours in the Gulf?

I thought I heard the guy was naked?

This ought to be a good discussion about what in the world were they doing:D

Amazing. There was one other recent incident of a drunk man being rescued after he fell or was pushed off the cruiseship. He did not remember how he ended up overboard.

I heard about that. As far as I'm concerned, those guys were the luckiest SOBs in the world that day, I truly hope they realize that.

I heard they fell overboard around 1-2AM, and were drinking. The fact that someone saw them fall that late at night is a miracle.

When it is your time...it is your time...when it ain't.....it just ain't

Aren't they an elderly couple? They are lucky to be alive after a 60 ft fall. They are lucky they didn't break some ribs, neck, or organs... Not to mention surviving 4 hours of treading water.

I wonder if there is more to the story than an accident. I imagine they got in a fight, and one of them said, "You can spend the cruise by yourself" and jumped over board, the spouse then felt he has to jump after or someone will blame him for the accident...

Everyone knows they met, got drunk, fell in love and then tried to re-enact that scene from Titanic......

At least thiis is what my better half says. And the more I think about it, she's probably right. Her being right obviously has nothing to do with what really happened though. She's just always right....even when she's dead wrong......and life goes on with me always being wrong.:)

As long as I can accept my "perceived" place in this relationship I will be fine.....Know what I mean men?

Smokin

When it is your time...it is your time...when it ain't.....it just ain't
Spiritual discussions notwithstanding, I cannot imagine any intelligent person really believing in that - especially not one who carries a pony bottle.

No one saw therm. Their friends heard them scream and alerted the right people to start a rescue.
That's the story I read. Amazed that they were conscious enough to yell after falling that far.

Why is this in Dive Accidents? It wasn't diving related.

DandyDon:
Why is this in Dive Accidents? It wasn't diving related.

Just light discussion about an accident. I figured they dove from 60 ft.

Seriously, the thread is probably more about exposure and luck of being found in the open ocean.

SmokinReefer:
Everyone knows they met, got drunk, fell in love and then tried to re-enact that scene from Titanic......

At least thiis is what my better half says. And the more I think about it, she's probably right. Her being right obviously has nothing to do with what really happened though. She's just always right....even when she's dead wrong......and life goes on with me always being wrong.:)

As long as I can accept my "perceived" place in this relationship I will be fine.....Know what I mean men?

Smokin

You married to my wife too?

I read the other day in local news that the two who fell are local to my state of Colorado. Both are in their very early 20's, a guy who is attending the Air Force Academy in Colo Springs and a girl attending CU. They fell an estimated 50-60 feet.

The cruise line is calling it an accident and the guy issued a statement asking for his and his family's privacy. Hmmmm... Sounds fishy to me. I can't believe the cruise line or the news hasn't reported what exactly they were doing to have two people fall? The guy attributed his survival training and their quick rescue response to their survival. Pretty amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom