Unknown Two dead off Rockport MA

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 75 year old diver "was found in medical distress on Front Beach on Oct. 4 shortly after 11 a.m. Emergency aid was provided by bystanders, police and EMTs before he was taken by ambulance to Addison Gilbert Hospital where he was pronounced deceased." No one on the scene was aware of the brother-in-law second diver then missing.

"At 3 p.m. that day, through investigation, authorities determined Brady, the second diver, was missing. He was subsequently recovered from the ocean off Front Beach and pronounced deceased." Excerpted from Family of drowned diver critical of investigation

Sounds like very poor investigating. Typical of most scuba deaths, not involving someone who actually knows about scuba diving and equipment. To come up with drowning as cause of death is lazy, what caused them to drown if this is indeed the case. Hard to see two men dying the same way without some other thing causing it.

There were no surviving witnesses. Was it an OOA ? Did they get separated? Equipment failure? Exposure Leading to drowning? Unless they have specific evidence, why put the family through more?

I would have expected they should have started looking for the second diver more quickly, which may have saved him. I would assume there is a second diver until it is determined otherwise.

When y'all say "bad air" do you mean poor gas planning becoming an out of air situation? A member on here has a signature that talks about carbon monoxide and to test for it? So I wasn't sure if that was what you guys are talking about. New here, always trying to learn. Thanks

When y'all say "bad air" do you mean poor gas planning becoming an out of air situation? A member on here has a signature that talks about carbon monoxide and to test for it? So I wasn't sure if that was what you guys are talking about. New here, always trying to learn. Thanks
"Bad air" refers to contaminated (usually CO). I haven't seen anything one way or the other about contamination on this dive. If it was CO poisoning, we would almost certainly have heard about it. Someone else would have found the source at the fill station or someone else was made sick. Unless they had their own defective compressor. this seems unlikely and if it was missed by the investigators, would be one of the most screamingly incompetent investigations in history. CO poisoning was probably ruled out day one.

Sounds like very poor investigating. Typical of most scuba deaths, not involving someone who actually knows about scuba diving and equipment. To come up with drowning as cause of death is lazy, what caused them to drown if this is indeed the case. Hard to see two men dying the same way without some other thing causing it.
As others have said, if they checked the air and checked the equipment and it looks like they drowned, what more do we expect the police to do? The old guys were engaged in a dangerous activity and something(s) happened. Unfortunate but not suspicious to me.

Police certainly can be lazy but in their defense here, their job is to investigate crime. Once there is no crime discovered the cause of death is out of their mandate. Maybe the medical examiner could figure it out but again, given scarce resources and unless the family is requesting it, I'm not sure there's a ton of interest by the general tax-paying public to get to the bottom of an accident in a very niche sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom