Two major scuba companies do not repair their out of warranty dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a last ditch effort, I would agree with contacting the manufacturers yourself. I had a similar experience with UWATEC several years ago and they agreed to replace my un-serviceable computer (no battery replacement available) with the current model for a very sweet discount. Much more than the cost of a factory battery replacement, but hundreds of $$ less that the cost of new.

Worst case, many manufacturers offer a competitive trade-in program where you can turn-in your old unit (working or not) for a discount (i.e. Oceanic's is 20% off)........just a suggestion.

Thanks for the imformation & company. (Grimsleeper) I was just looking at the Suunto D6i on Ebay...$1,000usd. Goodness!
Where,who, & what is the best solution?

You can buy a Petrel for $950 from just about anyone. And Shearwater will stand behind it long after the other guys have walked away from theirs.

Suunto replaced my out of warranty gekko with a brand new zoop a couple years ago when the depth sensor went haywire.

a Uwatec Adalin Tec (Scubapro) 800+ dives.
Is it a Uwatec Aladin Tec 2g or Aladin Smart Tek?

Either way I will take care of you. I will give you a great deal ( Up to 40% OFF ) on a new Scubapro dive computer, you just need to send your non-functioning Scubapro computer to us.

Just returned from diving in the Philippines, I loved it!

Earlier this year, I had a similar experience with Oceanic as Bob did when I returned a used Veo 250 (basically the same computer as the 200) with a bad temperature sensor. A couple weeks and $100 later I had a new-looking replacement back with a different serial #.

As a last ditch effort, I would agree with contacting the manufacturers yourself. I had a similar experience with UWATEC several years ago and they agreed to replace my un-serviceable computer (no battery replacement available) with the current model for a very sweet discount. Much more than the cost of a factory battery replacement, but hundreds of $$ less that the cost of new.

Worst case, many manufacturers offer a competitive trade-in program where you can turn-in your old unit (working or not) for a discount (i.e. Oceanic's is 20% off)........just a suggestion.
Suunto offered to do this for a discount as well. But, I didn't find it to be a terribly great discount.
I purchased a Liquivision Xeo, since I hope to go the tech route in the future, anyway and I prefer being able to make changes and upgrades as needed/desired.

I'm with Bob DBF on this one... I have two Oceanic computers. I bought both used. I talked with Oceanic about how to get updates to the older one (A Data Plus that still works great) and they were very responsive. They said they could check it out and update it for me for ~$100. I was very happy with their feedback.

I always thought manufacturers had to keep a supply of repair parts for a certain period of time after they discontinued a product. I had a problem with a Dive Rite Nitek Trio that kept giving me erroneous readings and I requested a repair/replacement while it was still two weeks from the end of the warranty period. At first they said they didn't have any left as Seiko had stopped making them, but Dive Rite did do good by me shortly thereafter. I fault Seiko for a bad product. Apparently they are no longer in the dive computer business.

It's called planned obsolescence and frankly I'm surprised it took this long for the trend to catch up in the dive industry.

Frankly I never pay top dollar for dive gear. I pass on the thousand dollar regulators and computers and go for the two hundred dollar products instead. If I get 5 years / 500 dives out of it and have to replace it, I'm OK with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom