Two new resorts announced for the old Sunset Beach property near Bari Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While out diving on Bari Reef this afternoon, I couldn't imagine what harm would be caused by 197 rooms of divers from Chogogo and, who knows how many from the resort next door. Bari Reef is dazzling as a house reef. We had an Eagle Ray with us for several minutes at the beginning of this afternoon's last dive.

I'm hoping not, but my days at Den Laman may be numbered. I'll likely try to get in another visit in early 2020 to see how things are going.

While out diving on Bari Reef this afternoon, I couldn't imagine what harm would be caused by 197 rooms of divers from Chogogo and, who knows how many from the resort next door.
The closer to Kralendijk, the worse condition the reefs are. The same is true for Curacao/Willemstad. Human presence, I guess. Or maybe just sewage.

The parking lot area/entrance to construction area is often quite dusty, today, it is a lake of mud following a morning downpour.

Thank you for the explanation. On Bonaire this week trying Sand Dollar for the 1st time and I bought that Breeze 'N Bites breakfast package, and was eating when the half-hour down pour hit. I was so struck by how muddy water extended way out on the Den Lamen side of the pier, and how it didn't on the Sand Dollar side, I couldn't figure it out. You answered a question that's been on my mind.

Saddened to see the state of some of the corals, but this morning made it south far enough that Margate Bay and Sweet Dreams redeemed Bonaire diving for me. Their corals aren't in perfect shape, either, but the lush gorgonian forest gives the reef strong appeal.

Richard.

Thanks. It was great to meet you 'in the flesh.' Whenever I meet a Scuba Board person in real life, it's like the M&Ms commercial where 2 of them meet Santa, both sides proclaim 'You do exist!' and pass out.

Today's 5 dives made 30 for the tip and that's enough for me. I'm taking tomorrow to wrap up loose ends topside and chill before an early flight out Sunday if all goes well.

Oh, did 2 dives at Windsock this afternoon, and at the end of the 1st I was killing time just past and a bit deeper than the end of the big pier, since I had gas and like dive times of 45 minutes plus. Was blessed with what I hope is a bucket list 1st for me. Look what came blowing by headed south at the bottom of the reef, probably around 70 feet deep. I tore off down the reef after it (well, about as close to 'tore off' as I get), and didn't get great shots, but please tell me this is what I think it is.

IMG_6141.jpg

Thanks. It was great to meet you 'in the flesh.' Whenever I meet a Scuba Board person in real life, it's like the M&Ms commercial where 2 of them meet Santa, both sides proclaim 'You do exist!' and pass out.

Today's 5 dives made 30 for the tip and that's enough for me. I'm taking tomorrow to wrap up loose ends topside and chill before an early flight out Sunday if all goes well.

Oh, did 2 dives at Windsock this afternoon, and at the end of the 1st I was killing time just past and a bit deeper than the end of the big pier, since I had gas and like dive times of 45 minutes plus. Was blessed with what I hope is a bucket list 1st for me. Look what came blowing by headed south at the bottom of the reef, probably around 70 feet deep. I tore off down the reef after it (well, about as close to 'tore off' as I get), and didn't get great shots, but please tell me this is what I think it is.

View attachment 544506
EPIC!! Good for you!

Hi @drrich2

We heard that a Dive Friends boat that went to Kalli's Reef on Wednesday saw a "manta ray". The giant manta ray was recently moved to the genus Mobula with the 10 other Mobula spp. I'm no expert, your picture is certainly one of the Mobula spp, not sure which one. Someone else can tell you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom