Two New York City fish....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I could use some help with these guys...

The first one was buzzing us on the hang at about 20 feet, 15 miles south of Fire Island, just over the USS San Diego. This is actually a frame grab from some video...

83445d1286571163-two-new-york-city-fish-zebra.jpg

Not a sheephsead or a pilotfish (the two that have this sort of marking that I can think of off the top of my head)....

This second one was on the bottom in another wreck in the same area (the Lizzie D). Looks sort of like a hake, but I'm not sure...

83444d1286571014-two-new-york-city-fish-hake.jpg

Ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

• hake.jpg
    hake.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 177
  • zebra.jpg
    zebra.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 173
Hey Doc,

Nice shots!

I've seen these guys around on the Oregon, as well as the Arundo.

The first guy is a Pilotfish. The other guy is an American eel.

Cheers,

X

Hey Doc,

Nice shots!

I've seen these guys around on the Oregon, as well as the Arundo.

The first guy is a Pilotfish. The other guy is an American eel.

Cheers,

X

Thanks! I couldn't see more of the second one to get a better ID.

U sure about the pilotfish? The pics that I saw online had different patterns and a somewhat different profile, but that was one of my guesses as well...

I appreciate the help!

Mike

I second Mr. X

Pilotfish for sure.
Second, I thought eel as soon as i saw it, and American seems to fit.

Thanks! I couldn't see more of the second one to get a better ID.

U sure about the pilotfish? The pics that I saw online had different patterns and a somewhat different profile, but that was one of my guesses as well...

I appreciate the help!

Mike

Pretty sure about the pilotfish? However to be really sure ...need that body! The behavior of hanging around the deco line near divers was common during early fall and certainly aligns with their behavior. I saw them on wrecks including the San Diego...and mostly (for some odd rerason) when I was on the RV Wahoo. They like to have a buddy to hang around with. :wink:

As per the American eel...it could also be a conger eel?

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Marine Biology - Ocean Bottom Fishes. They look alike, but I certainly wouldn't try finding out. Congers get big and have nasty teeth. At least the ones I saw for sale in the UK! Was the one you saw large?

Cheers,

X

Pretty sure about the pilotfish? However to be really sure ...need that body! The behavior of hanging around the deco line near divers was common during early fall and certainly aligns with their behavior. I saw them on wrecks including the San Diego...and mostly (for some odd rerason) when I was on the RV Wahoo. They like to have a buddy to hang around with. :wink:

As per the American eel...it could also be a conger eel?

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Marine Biology - Ocean Bottom Fishes. They look alike, but I certainly wouldn't try finding out. Congers get big and have nasty teeth. At least the ones I saw for sale in the UK! Was the one you saw large?

Cheers,

X

Excellent, thanks so much, everyone..!

This one wasn't that big, the head was maybe 3-4 inches long...

The first one is a Banded Rudder Fish. Very similar in look with a pilot fish, and therefore often confused with them.

The eel, as already noted, could be either an American or a Conger. Would need to see the size and fins to properly ID. However, the offshore location is more suggestive of a Conger.

The first one is a Banded Rudder Fish. Very similar in look with a pilot fish, and therefore often confused with them.

The eel, as already noted, could be either an American or a Conger. Would need to see the size and fins to properly ID. However, the offshore location is more suggestive of a Conger.

Yup, you are right... the eye stripe and the profile are definitely that of a banded rudder fish... thanks!

And I agree about the conger, looking into it...

Thanks again!

Mike

Stand corrected on the pilot fish. Agree with Banded rudder fish (wasn't aware of their existence) Thanks for the lesson Billsreef. Always good to learn something new!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom