Two simple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless PADI has changed, here are the standards:

Stamina Exercise 1: 400 Metre Swim
The candidate must swim 400 metres without stopping using no swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes desired. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

Time Points
5 = under 6 min, 30 sec
4 = 6 min, 30 sec to 8 min, 40 sec
3 = 8 min, 40 seconds to 11 min
2 = 11 to 13 min
1 = more than 13 min
0 = stopped/incomplete

Stamina Exercise 2: 15 Minute Tread
Using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit, the candidate will stay afloat by treading water, drown proofing, bobbing or floating for 15 minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last 2 minutes. A candidate with a physical challenge that makes it difficult/impossible to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that portion of the exercise with no effect on the score.

Criteria Points
5 = Performed satisfactorily 5
3 = Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire 2 minutes 3
1 = Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice 1
0 = Used side/bottom for support more than twice

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre Snorkel Swim
Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must swim nonstop for 800 metres. The candidate may not use arms to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg use and arm-swimming is the individual's normal swimming method while diving. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

Time Points
5 = under 14 min
4 = 14 to 16 min
3 = 16 min, 30 sec to 18 min, 30 sec
2 = 18 min, 30 sec to 21 min
1 = more than 21 min
0 = incomplete/stopped

Stamina Exercise 4: 100 Metres Inert Diver Tow
Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres nonstop without assistance. Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag) not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

Time Points
5 = under 2 min, 10 sec
4 = 2 min,10 sec to 3 min, 15 sec
3 = 3 min, 15 sec to 4 min. 20 sec
2 = 4 min. 20 sec to 5 min, 30 sec
1 = more than 5 min, 30 sec
0 = stopped incomplete

OK, combined passing score is a 12 or more, out of a possible 20. 12 points / 4 exercises = 3 points per exercise.

So, take the 400M swim. 400M/50m (lap) = 8 laps. To get a "3" you have to do it in 11 min or less. That's roughly 40 sec a length, or 80 seconds a lap. For a "5," that's roughly 25 seconds a length, or 50 seconds a lap.

Quite honestly, if you can't crawl swim 8 laps in 11 min or less, you should probably consider better physical training before testing DM. I swim 32 laps each morning as my daily workout, with the first 4/4 slow/med, followed by 4/4 fast/med, 4/4 fast/med, 4/4 med/slow. I'm at 35-40 min for this routine, depending how chipper i feel, lol. At 40 min time, thats 37/75 sec length/lap, or for 35 min time, 32/65. So, for an 8 lap swim, I would be between 8 min 40 sec and 10 min, at least a 3, maybe a 4. I'm sure at 8 laps, I could score the 4 without difficulty.

Anyway, the more you swim the better you get. When I started, 8 laps was killing me. Now, it's easy. Just keep at it.

Good luck!

Okay, I will confess. We were required to do all tests in a row. I scored a 5 with 6 mins 16 secs. I did the first lap with a crawl and the rest with a backstroke. I have a lot of upper body strength..... I can swim faster with a crawl, but the backstroke let me have a lot easier breathing and it conserved my energy.

We then had the float, snorkle,and then tow....... Wow, were we exhausted. Four of us passed, 3 did not. And our instructor said we were all or nothing. Pass all the sections, or none..... He was tough, and we were better for it. The ones who didn't had to practice each time we were in the pool. And the ones of us who did, were expected to be supportive.... Yeah, that means we did it too. It was a really good thing, in the end. We were a really close knit group.

I did all of them back-to-back, with some water stress drills thrown in as well (I'm NAUI, not PADI, but the rest of the requirements are the same). But it's up to the instructor, really, and some do spread it out over several days. Pool time can be hard to come by in my neck of the woods, so we usually do it all in the same day.

As far as I know, many NAUI and PADI instructors requires that you to do either breast stroke or crawl, as it is to simulate having to swim out to a diver in need, in which case, the back stroke would leave you unable to see the diver.

Well I had a go front crawl yesterday and it seems that I can only swim 8 lengths in that stroke before it resembles some form of doggy paddle. I finished the 20 breast stroke - I am really glad I have around 4 months or so to improve my time.

At the minute it takes me 11 mins to do the swim breast stroke (not really powering along but enough to nearly be out of breath).

I swim 3/4 times a week at the minute so I have time to get that speed up. I'm not really worried about passing, though I would much rather do it in a decent time.

Thanks for all the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom