Two small steel tanks from 1970. Baby dubs, need help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gave up on the dream of a matched pair of old steels.
@guruboy Don't lose hope. The chase is part of the fun of ownership. You know as well as I do that there are a lot of them stuffed away in attics and garages.

BTW, Should you happen to find a match to my single Dacor (specs are given in both Want to Buy - Steel 50 that will pass hydro and above in this thread) then feel free to give me a call. I really appreciate this size tank, but I'm not a collector or a hoarder. I don't mind helping a fellow diver out...
Good luck with yours.
Thanks, once the one on the way arrives, I'm good!

:)

@KWS 3aa tanks have always been marked with the base working pressure eg 1800, 2250, or 2400 psi. Then the initial hydro is + rated, so the manufacturer quotes capacity at the plus rating pressure of 1980 psi, 2475 psi, or 2640 psi.

@KWS 3aa tanks have always been marked with the base working pressure eg 1800, 2250, or 2400 psi. Then the initial hydro is + rated, so the manufacturer quotes capacity at the plus rating pressure of 1980 psi, 2475 psi, or 2640 psi.
were they 3AA in WW2? or was that a later designation, I dont know. I remember something about LP tanks were under 2kpsi.
Then the govt wanted a higher pressure tank or capacity tank and they did the over fill by 10% to get to the mil spec needed. Since I am asking wasn't there a 3A tank? Then if you know what the history of the marking 3AA. IE 3 steel A=? A=? I assume it relates to alloy of material and other things. Probably n ot relevant to the discussion but you pushed my thought button and that is what happened.

what about the tanks prior to 3AA tanks.

3a is indeed the older spec and 3aa is built on top of it. the alloy spec is different (with 3A being less specific such that a mild steel could be used if the service pressure is sufficiently low) between the two and there is a cap on tensile stress no matter the alloy for 3a. but afaik, the pressure marking convention is consistent for 3a and 3aa. base working pressure is stamped, plus on hydro allows 10% overfill legally.

@JamesBon92007 Looks like we both got our packages on Tuesday! :)

Communication, coordination, consideration...

Most happy with mine, let me know how you feel about the swap. I could have PM'd this but it gives both of us an uptick with respect to the no longer in existence 'Trader Rating'.

Mine actually showed up today (my info said it was expected today). The backwing is very nice and should be exactly the right thing for my 5mm wetsuit. I attached an inflator and put it on my SS backplate and tried it out in the pool--works perfectly! We are going to Cozumel in a few weeks so now I have to decide which backwing to take :wink:

I haven't tried out the fins yet but those XXL JetFins can supposedly be worn with tennis shoes or reef runners so they might be just the thing for shore diving in Hawai'i where you have to walk a long way on sharp lava. My girlfriend wore holes in her 3mm booties walking on lava. I don't know yet what to do with the reel but sooner or later I find a use for everything. We are planning on visiting the Aerolito de Paraiso cenote on the island so maybe we'll need to tie off at the entrance.

I've never bought/sold/swapped before here on SB and didn't know there was a rating system, but be both look happy so I guess we each have a 100% approval rating even if it's not official. :) :)

Edit: Later that day....

I tried the Jet Fins with both reef runners and slip-on tennies and both had room to spare, but not wobbly. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom