Two weeks in Bonaire - recommendations on where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiveTheDream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

We're going to spend two weeks in Bonaire (in September)… plain to do shore diving, maybe a few boat dives.

Have been looking at Coral Paradise. We like smaller places. Don't want/need high-end resort for diving. We like someplace quiet, relaxing. The biggest issuer for me is a GOOD bed. haha.

Since this is our first trip to Bonaire, we wondered if we should move to another resort/hotel/apartment for the second week just to get a taste of another part of Bonaire?

Thoughts/experiences?

I stayed at Blachi Koko Apartments and can thoroughly recommend them. Run by a very nice couple, well designed with security in mind, including a lockable drying area for dive kit. Only a stone's throw from the Town Centre and Supermarkets. The apartments are spacious and well appointed.

. . . Don't want/need high-end resort for diving. . . .

That's good, because there are very few of those on Bonaire. Most places are comfortable, laid back and well-worn.

The beds at Bamboo Bali were fantastic. It is also a small place and VERY relaxing. Bonaire is so small that I really feel that there is no need to move twice for a two week trip. You can dive with Dive Friends right across the street (Cliff as house reef), Captain Don's, Buddy Dive, or BDA (Bari as house reef).

Yeah, I've heard Bamboo Bali is one of the few places that really qualifies as upscale--and even then, I don't think it's really a "high-end resort" as resorts go. We have eyed it enviously from across the street where we poor people stay :wink:

All depends on what you want. Our preference is to be right on the water at a place that has a good house reef and easy ocean access.

Buddy Dive and Habitat fit the bill for us on these accounts. May not be as nice as some of what is listed above but house reef access is a real plus. Bonaire is small enough that you can stay in one place for 2 weeks and still get full flavor of the island as long as you have transportation.

We have stayed at CP three times and have a fourth trip booked. We like the CP, it is small friendly, functional, quiet and a great location to dive some of the best house reefs on the island. You have a choice of three dive operations when booking packages. We chose Capt Don. Short walk to the water, tank and lockers and right in to dive the house reefs at CD, Buddys, and Small Wall and Cliff. We love the boat dive arrangements at Capt Don and have not seen the same system and flexibility anyplace else. Once you are set up at Capt Don to dive, you have a diver number. There is a chalkboard where they list the three boat dives and locations scheduled for the next day. There are open squares under each boat/dive representing the number of diver spaces on the boat. You want to go, write in your number. You show up and get on the boat. Change your mind, even last minute, just erase your number. You get to see the afternoon before where they plan on going and you also get see how full the boat will be. We have signed up on PM Klein dives 20 minutes before and had only a handful of divers on the boat. There are tons of reviews on CP so I won't add anything else. You can find the reviews. We have some on Tripadvisor. I am not sure I would bother changing locations midtrip.

I like to dive 2 tanks toward the north of the island one part of the day, 2 tanks toward the south the other part, and maybe a night dive, usually on the house reef if I do one.

I suppose if you wanted to stay at a resort up north & hit mainly northern sites, then south & hit maybe southern, you could do that. But it's not a huge island. I usually stay somewhere roughly centrally located. But, if you wanted to do it that way, you could also try 2 different resorts to inform a future return trip.

I'm not advocating for 2 resorts; just pointing out a couple of possible benefits.

About how many dives/day do you see yourself doing? I like at least 3, preferably 4 or 5, but I don't know if my ears could hold out for a 2 week dive marathon going at it like that.

Richard.

Hi, We're going to spend two weeks in Bonaire (in September)… plain to do shore diving, maybe a few boat dives. Have been looking at Coral Paradise. We like smaller places. Don't want/need high-end resort for diving. We like someplace quiet, relaxing. The biggest issuer for me is a GOOD bed. haha. Since this is our first trip to Bonaire, we wondered if we should move to another resort/hotel/apartment for the second week just to get a taste of another part of Bonaire? Thoughts/experiences?

I have never stayed at Coral Paradise but that is a nice area IMO (away from the cruise boat traffic but not too far from town) and we have dived with Captain Don's and felt that they had a good, convenient operation. I also agree that it is smart to stay in a place with a kitchen when you are on Bonaire because eating out 3 times a day can get very expensive and takes up a lot of time. We usually prepare simple breakfast and lunch meals and then go out for dinner.

Just a comment. In looking at the photos on the CP website it appears that the units are studios and not one-bedroom apartments. That means that you will be cooking, living, and sleeping all in the same room. I have done that before and it is okay but I prefer a separate bedroom.

Another piece of advice, this wouldn't apply to a hotel room or a studio, but on Bonaire when the say that an apartment is air-conditioned, that doesn't always mean what you might think. Sometimes it means that the bedroom(s) have AC but not the rest of the unit. If that is important to you, then check to make sure that the entire apartment is air-conditioned.

The last couple of times that we were on Bonaire we stayed in fully air conditioned, one-bedroom apartments at Den Laman and dived with Bari Dive and Adventure and we were pleased with the accommodations and the diving and the excellent house reef. But it has been a few years since we've been there so check with more recent guests for a more up-to-date opinion.

One last comment. Petty thievery and break-ins have been a persistent problem on Bonaire for a long time. So be sure to check out the safety and security systems before booking.

Bonaire is a wonderful place to visit with true dive freedom, good luck!

Last edited:
I like to dive 2 tanks toward the north of the island one part of the day, 2 tanks toward the south the other part, and maybe a night dive, usually on the house reef if I do one.

I suppose if you wanted to stay at a resort up north & hit mainly northern sites, then south & hit maybe southern, you could do that. But it's not a huge island. I usually stay somewhere roughly centrally located. But, if you wanted to do it that way, you could also try 2 different resorts to inform a future return trip.

I'm not advocating for 2 resorts; just pointing out a couple of possible benefits.

About how many dives/day do you see yourself doing? I like at least 3, preferably 4 or 5, but I don't know if my ears could hold out for a 2 week dive marathon going at it like that.

Richard.

I'm planning on 3 a day, hopefully 4 a day, but my ears will be a determining factor for me too.

My biggest reason for changing accommodations was simply unfamiliarity with Bonaire and desire to try more than one for future reference. We'll see if my dive partner agrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom