Two weeks in Bonaire - recommendations on where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be returning to Bonaire again this Sept. This will be our8th or 9th trip in @8 years to this wonderful island.

This time we will be returning to Buddy Dive, simply for the convenience. We have used Den Lamen, The Plaza, among others, as well as renting private places, but generally I like the real convenience of Buddy's for their shore package, and I have always really enjoyed their house reef.

Buddy's is an older resort, and it shows, but it is comfortable and laid back, and the folks there know us by now, and they do a good job. I will suggest that divers not be too trusting of the common gear room at the waterfront, as last year I know of a couple of thefts, that seem to have been done by fellow divers. My GF lost parts from her BP/W and we overheard the shop discussing how another traveler lost a computer that same week. These thefts did not fit the pattern of local petty thefts, so this means that at least onne "diver" or more, among us has sticky fingers, which also means they could be practicing their "art" at any other resort where divers relax, and let their guard down.

We stayed in #19. I heard that not all of the units are created equal, as well. We were very happy with ours and the one directly across from us (#24), which is huge, was gorgeous. We met a few of the people at the neighboring properties and did not feel unsafe at all. The neighbors did tell us not to leave our dive gear outside at night or it could get stolen, but we already figured as much with the petty crime problem and didn't plan to leave it outside anyway, but appreciated them taking the time to walk over to tell us. It was a very laid back vibe, with people eating dinner outside, playing cards, etc., but no loud noise from parties or anything. We did not use the pool. A few of the permanent residents bring their dogs over there and do not clean up after the dogs, which is unfortunate, because the pool itself was very clean. I did notice that there are "Quality Ratings" on their website now, with the larger, fancier houses having 4 stars. We stayed in a 3-star house, and it was plain but in very good repair and very comfortable. The pictures up for #19 right now are an accurate depiction of how it was when we stayed this past January except the furniture was different (same quality/condition, though) and I did not find the fancy parrot-type bird in the trees.

I just got back from a fantastic 5 days at Harbour Village, www.harbourvillage.com. They have Great Adventures Bonaire right on site with a great crew. The dive services manager is Christine Ball, gab@harbourvillage.com, she and her staff do a fantastic job. You can even do a guided coral restoration dive in their on property coral nursery. I'll be posting some video later in the week from our many dives. I will be going back as soon as I can.

Hi,

We're going to spend two weeks in Bonaire (in September)… plain to do shore diving, maybe a few boat dives.

Have been looking at Coral Paradise. We like smaller places. Don't want/need high-end resort for diving. We like someplace quiet, relaxing. The biggest issuer for me is a GOOD bed. haha.

Since this is our first trip to Bonaire, we wondered if we should move to another resort/hotel/apartment for the second week just to get a taste of another part of Bonaire?

Thoughts/experiences?

Agree with others but having stayed at Coral Paradise every September for the past 5 years, you won't be disappointed. We use Buddy for our tanks. Unlike the other places, we arrive, jump in the transportation waiting for us at the airport, and go to Coral Paradise. When we arrive, our vehicle (truck) is already there, inspected by Kenny and ready to go. Can't say enough nice things about the owners or the person working the desk. It's small, but very comfortable.

Maybe will see you this September. Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom