Two Weeks In The Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACT651755

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I'm planning two weeks of diving in the Philippines from 2nd November, and wondered if anybody can recommend a decent Dive Operator in the Boracay area? Any chance of sharks in this area? If I might find sharks elsewhere in the Philippines, then Boracay isn't that important!

If you can recommend accommodation too, that'd be a welcome bonus!

Thanks.

Maybe try elsewhere. Malapascua (Monad shoal for the Threshers and Gato island for the Black/White tips and Nurse sharks). For accommodations contact Evolution diving.

If you must do Boracay, do the Yapak dive sites. Victory Divers, Fisheye or Calypso Divers, among other shops.

Last edited:
What Caloy said!

Boracay has some limited okay-ish diving but most sites are terrible by Philippine standards, many of the operators there are equally terrible and only set-up for non-returning tourist traffic! Although there are also some good operators there - make sure you choose wisely!

The best places to see a lot of sharks here is Tubattaha or Apo Reef, if you're not keen on a live aboard (plus Tubattaha is only March to June) then it would be very hard to beat Malapascua - as far as I know it's still the only place in the world with 'almost' guaranteed thresher shark sighting if you stay for a while.

Evolution is also highly recommended for Malapascua.

Malapascua is certainly your best bet if you want to see sharks, and pretty amazing they are too! Thresher and Whitetips are both "almost" guaranteed :)

Let me know if you have questions.

Matt.

Hi,

If you want to see the biggest shark of all (whale shark), you may want to try Southern Leyte.

We have a trip scheduled on Nov 10-13 departing/returning from/to Cebu.

PM me if you are interested. Cheers.

JC

Thanks everyone, I'll seriously consider Malapusca, and depending on finances, I'll have a look at your excursion Fun & Sun. Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:00 PM ----------

One more question gents, are we talking about Oceanic Whitetips or Whitetip Reef Sharks?

Dive Safaris

I agree with the others that the diving around Boracay is less than spectacular, except for Yapak. The backside, Crocodile Island has a lot of interesting sea life too.

But this shop, Fisheye has this boat. And they do trips to outer islands. Apo Reef, Panagatan, Coron.....we did a 9 day trip island hopping to Tubbataha this year in May. Did a lot of nice dives in the whole Cagayancillo range, which includes Tubbataha. Ureal diving.
Good food and very knowledgable crew. Some of the same "old crew" as Calypso, Victory etc run it and have been there since the early 90s.
DSC03702.jpgDSC03705.jpg

Boracay is good if you have less than 100 dives! If you have more, then I prefer Puerto Galera. I find it has the most varied diving you can find in one stop! Malapascua, Moalboal, Panglao Is., all great diving! Subic Bay, or Coron if you like wrecks from WW II!
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!

I can certainly recommend calypso diving resort and pinjalo on Boracay. Did my dm course there are while back but have been there several times as I have friend s there. They are very professional and in my opinion one of the best dive operator there, though fisheye, victory divers also have good reps. They also have a good sized boat where you can make trips to nearby islands, and they also book liveaboard trips to tubattaha / lizzy beasley reefs in season,and Palau on other larger boats. I have done 2 trips to maniguin and 2 trips to panagatan with them, where I saw schooling devil rays, mobula rays, giant guitar shark,and hammerheads.

Diving in Boracay isn't as good as many other philippine hotspots, however it can have some good macro to be fair. The night dive infront of the tourist centre is quite good. I have seen bobbit worms, robust and ornate ghost pipes, gurnards, seahorses, and one night dive brought 13 frogfish! There are sometimes sites with Pygmy seahorses, turtles, and yapak I have seen eagle rays and white tips and grey reef sharks.

So I think if you are after some on land fun, good restaurants, amazing beaches, poss some partying then Boracay could be a good place to start. If you just want the best diving time can give, consider other Philippine places. My favourite is southern leyte. Amazing reefs, walls and muck sites, whalesharks between nov-apr.has it all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom