TX Flower Gardens - Labor Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farrahfig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey y'all, I'm new to the group, but my friends here in Austin tell me how lovely you are! I'm reaching out to guage interest for the Labor Day trip out to the Flower Gardens aboard the M/V Fling. I just found out today that the trip has been shortened to a 3 day trip to make it more affordable. The boat leaves Freeport, TX ('bout an hour south of Houston) at 8p on Friday, 8/29 and returns around 5:30p on Monday, 9/1. The price is $625 + $90 for Nitrox. That should get you 13 dives. I've made 3 trips out to the Flower Gardens this season. Its been awesome. Big mantas, silky sharks, rays, eels, schooling jacks, and I saw a hammer head when we hit the oil rig on my last outting. Let me know you're interested in this trip of if you want more info. You can sign up through Scubaland Adventures, Inc. Home. You can call the shop at 512 891-6054. For more info about the Fling visit: Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome!

The boat won't go unless they fill up. The season's almost over and I really want to go!!!

Thru which dive shop is this??.....We're going out Aug 6-8th, the whole boat is out of Tru Blue Dive Center in Lake Charles, La.....

Last edited:
The shop is Scubaland Adventures in Austin. I'll be the trip lead on this one. I don't work for the shop, but I've spent a lot of money there!! ha ha!! This will be my first trip longer than 2 days/2 nites. I wonder if we'll have Blue Bell & Brownies every night?!! Oh wait...they'll serve blueberry cobler too!! YUM!!!! If any of your peeps are hardcore and want to go out for Labor Day too...send them my way!

I believe you will find it is 11 dives total: 5 the first day, 4 the next, and 2 in the morning of the 3dr day before heading back.

And thanks. My buddy and I were looking for an FGB trip in that timeframe.

Okay...that sounds about right! More importantly, do you know the answer to my desert question??? From what I've heard, its a great crew booked for that wknd. Good DMs, galley and Captains of course! Let me know if you guys can make it and if you end up booking with Scubaland. If you do book through them, I'll be your trip lead and I promise a good time!
:)

I don't ever remember not having ice cream and something (usually brownies) after every night dive; even on the 5-day trips. But I'm usually making a beeline for the bunk at that point.

I'd be amazed if this trip wasn't pretty full...maybe with the 4-day they were having trouble filling it, but at 3 it should go out. I hope so...will be crushed if it doesn't.

Wife and I have been out at the FGNMS the last two Labor days, the first time on the Fling, the second on the Spree, and we're booked for the Fling this year (thru Scubaland). I've been one other time so this will be my 4th trip.

We also just got the same message about the trip dropping a day...bummer. The shop you book thru doesn't matter to me, I look for when I want to go then contact the shop. We're up in DFW and Scubaland didn't bat an eye when I called for the reservation, and have been great on the phone. The one thing I will sort of 'avoid' is club trips (assuming they had openings which they usually won't)...it's no fun being the "outsider couple" in a rowdy group. I will have to say there were some (ahem) less than fun passengers one time, including a particular know-it-all, throw-your-gear-across-the-whole-bench lawyer type, but hey, it takes all kinds. We just swam the opposite direction from that individual when we went below. It was kind of funny by the end of the trip though seeing everyone but his "friends" giving him the cold shoulder. Wonder if he got the message???

Wow, talk about hijack. So anyway, really hope this trip goes out because the wife and I need it, and this will be my first time at the FG with my new DSLR setup. (Not the first time diving it - christened it over 2 weeks in Dominica just this spring.)

With airline travel costs going the way they are, and luggage restrictions ditto, I can see hitting the gardens much more often in the future. It may end up being our only real 'dive destination' next year....

The OP's username just registered on me...Farrah, aren't you the Scubaland trip leader? If so, hi! I'll warn you now my wife drinks air by the teaspoon, but can't nav worth a damn. I'm usually good at nav but will have my new distraction, and unfortunately with my barrell chest (yes, chest, not gut, <cough, cough>) I suck air a wee faster. Anyway, we've never rode the dingy of shame yet, nor sat out a dive for reasons other than choice, but have had a long surface swim back once on the Spree. Can tell ya the story iffn' ya want, assuming we all get to GO!!!

(EDIT: Just read thru the rest of the thread in more detail and see you already said you were the trip leader. Hey, I said I was okay at nav, not reading comprehension. :D )

Last edited:
...I'd go with ya but I'm already signed up for SPREE's 3-day trip on Labor Day weekend ! ...but now at least I'm not jealous of your 4 day trip anymore.... :D

Karl

...I'd go with ya but I'm already signed up for SPREE's 3-day trip on Labor Day weekend ! ...but now at least I'm not jealous of your 4 day trip anymore.... :D

Karl

Wave to them one morning when you're tied up next to them........and be sure and smile too.........

What a funny email! I'm excited that you're going to be on the trip with us!! I believe the intention of shortening the trip was to make it more affordable. I don't think the 4 day trip was filling. I'll agree it was looking a might pricey. This price I can justify! Again, I can not stress the quality of the diving out here enough! Nor can I stress the importance of the BLUEBELL and BROWNIES, people!!!!
:)

Is anyone else going? Who's interested!

Back
Top Bottom