TXIceDvr Update thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy's daughter Emily is out of ICU and is up and talking. They also removed her off of the liquid morphine and started her on oral pain meds. They are hoping to have her out by Friday but that may just be to soon so they will just have to wait and see. Randy has lots of support and I am sure he will post here when he can.

Wishing his family a quick and full recovery. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayer.

Randy is back at home in Texas with his whole family. Emily has about 6 to 8 weeks of recovery time, and everyone else is much better. His wife was not in the vehicle at the time of the accident. He is supposed to call me tomorrow, I think he is pretty tired from the long week and trip back.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Randy and his family, especially Emily.

That's good news. Glad to hear that they are all back home, and on the road to recovery.

Rhonda

Debra, Thanks for keeping everyone updated. I have been a bit busy lately.

Here is the whole scoop. We made a mad dash to Iowa to see my mother in-law before she died. She has been battling cancer for several years. We got up there on Sunday 12/21 and visited with her, she die on 12/23 and we had the funeral on 12/27. May she rest in peace.

My wife (Kim) was going to stay there for a few days to help her dad out and was to fly home today. The kids (Nick, 15, Emily 14) started driving home on Monday 12/29. The roads were a bit icey and seemed to improve the further south we got. Just north of Denison, IA I went to pass another car and when engine downshifted the back tires broke loose and we went sideways in front of the the other car, both cars slid off the road and into a steep ditch, the van (aka, ice diver express) rolled over 1 1/2 times and landed upside down in the field.

Both kids were in the back seat, Emily was on the side where the initial roll took place and has the more substantial injuries. (neither had their seat belts on, they did when we started, but removed them somewhere along the way) Nick suffered a concussion and appears to be fine now. Emily has several fractures. (Collar bone, ribs, compressed spine, partially collapsed lung). I am just stiff and sore. (but some of that is from the snowmobiling the day before) We were taken to the hospital in Denison where they ran x-rays and CT scans, no brain or spinal cord injuries. They inserted a tube in Emily's chest to re-inflate the lung and she as airlifted to Creighton Medical Center in Omaha.

My wife and brother-in-law drove down and got there just before they loaded Emily in the helicopter. We then proceeded to my van to get the stuff out of it. It was good thing that my wife saw here family before she saw the van.

We arrived back home last night and everyone is feeling much relief. There are some more doctor's appointments this week and follow ups to go, but we are definitely on the downside of this one. It is amazing how your entire life can change in the blink of an eye.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, concerns and support. I really goes a long way.

I have uploaded some photos of my van in my gallery. http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3760

We feel very fortunate to have walked away from this one.

On another note. At this point in time my Ice Diving trip for Feb 6th-9th is still on. I don't have a large vehicle to get there with (yet), but have a few weeks to figure that out. So if you were thinking about going on this trip, I need to know and have commitment within the week, (aka, paid a deposit or the class) If I still have substantial interest, I will do the trip.

Regards,
Randy
TxIceDiver

Whoa, those pictures are dramatic. It must have been terrifying, especially with it being your kids in the van. Know that we are all pulling for you, and wishing you and your family a complete and rapid physical and emotional recovery for all.
Tom

Wow - those are some photos. Pancake van!!! Glad that Emily is recovering well. Have fun in Iowa. I still think those fishes had coats on :wink:

So glad everyone is doing better, especially little Emily. May you continue to recover and have peace in your hearts.

Back
Top Bottom