Tying knots in reels or spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Does anyone tie knots in their reels or spools to mark distances or for other reasons?

Yes. I have knots every 10 feet in my spools. It can come in handy for a number of reasons, including something to look at for depth on a decompression stop. It is something I can also feel in the unlikely event that I can't see it.

I have a safety reel with knots every 10 feet so that I can feel them if I have to use it in zero visibility. I can tell how much line I have let out as I go.

John, do you feel that it lessens the strength of the lines or has it ever caused any problems. I am thinking of doing the same thing as you and for the same reasons.

John, do you feel that it lessens the strength of the lines or has it ever caused any problems. I am thinking of doing the same thing as you and for the same reasons.

How strong do you need the lines? We aren't using them to lift pianos. That kind of line is plenty strong enough for its traditional uses, even with the knots.

Some people use knots in lines for measurement during exploration types of activities. I actually do have some of that going on with a reel because we were trying to measure some distances in a dark sink hole we were exploring, but most people aren't into that.

I have 2 knots on the line I use for my SMB, one at 15' and one at 30'. Its nice to be able to hold a s/s without staring at the gauge/computer and I have done a practice ascent sans mask with this, no problem. I just slowly went up the line until I felt the first knot, counted to 60 slowly, went to the next, counted to 200 and I was good to go.

A knot in any line will reduce the breaking and safe working loads. A simple overhand knot will reduce it by about 60 %, this is the worst knot to use. A splice will reduce it by 10 %, this is the best way. The reel lines were never meant for load bearing use so if you are using it as intended it should not be a problem.

Does anyone tie knots in their reels or spools to mark distances or for other reasons?

Yes. Every 10 feet, with double knots every 50' for measuring distance.

I generally have a primary reel and two spools on my person, one of the spools is knotted, the other two are not. Reason is that in the wrecks that I dive it is unlikely that I would get more than 200 feet (length of line on that spool) away from the entrance - same for the cave diving I do, never more than 200' away from the main. It's for distance/feel in a silt out, I feel it spooling out and I know how far I am if the lights suddenly go down. If I had lengthier penetrations, I'd probably knot up the primary reel, which I tend to use on deep free water ascents to float my smb.

As above, every ten feet. The last 30 feet it's 3 knots, then 2 knots then 1 knot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom