Question Spool unwinding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're using a budget spool, it's probably overwound so they can advertise it as a 100ft/30m spool. In fact, after you removed enough line to make the spool useable, it's probably more like a 65ft/20m or 50ft/15m spool.

If you have your dSMB permanently attached to your spool, feed a loop of line through one of the holes, and clip that to your bolt snap. Then wrap it around the trigger, and back through the gate so it won't come loose.

I wouldn't recommend clipping the bolt snap off to one of the holes in the spool. It's too easy to open up the gate that way, and either unspool the line in your pocket, or disappear into the void entirely if it's clipped off to a D-ring.

I personally don't have the dSMB permanently attached to the spool. I carry two dSMB's (orange and yellow) and two different size spools (15m and 30m). I do keep the orange dSMB paired with the 15m spool and the yellow with the 30m spool, since it's more likely I'll be deploying the orange dSMB from my safety stop, and the yellow in an emergency at depth, but I can quickly recombine the orange dSMB with the 30m spool should I get blown off the reef.

[edit] Get a length about 1.5x the deployment depth. A dSMB doesn't rise straight to the top. Current always pushes it at a diagonal. If you get a line the exact size of when you want to deploy it, the dSMB may not reach the surface, and you may risk a runaway ascent. [/edit]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom