Type of lubrication for the housing seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm relatively new to underwater photography. Before I take my friend's camera and housing into the water, I'd like to know what kind of lubrication should I apply on the seals.??

Meikon housing.

I was told that there are different silicone grease for yellow o ring and black oring. Or the shop is just trying to sell me a more expensive grease..?

Ask Meikon! Yes, there are specific greases for different brands. That said, my wife is using generic grease from the local dive shop on her Canon housing with no problems so far. Long ago, I used Nikonos grease on everything; resulting is several flooded Pelican lights over several years. The orings swelled and allowed floods. Didn't know what was causing this for some time......

I just bought sea&sea grease with a LDS. They specificly reminded me to remove the oring and clean it toroughly before applying the grease. She said different brand grease will have different ingredient in their mixture. It may react with the residue of the previous brand grease and causes the oring to expand.

I just bought sea&sea grease with a LDS. They specificly reminded me to remove the oring and clean it toroughly before applying the grease. She said different brand grease will have different ingredient in their mixture. It may react with the residue of the previous brand grease and causes the oring to expand.

Contact Meikon first before you use any grease. The housing usually comes with a small tube/packet of grease, use that and not the store bought Sea & Sea grease.

Contact Meikon first before you use any grease. The housing usually comes with a small tube/packet of grease, use that and not the store bought Sea & Sea grease.
Thanks. But i've already finished the meikon grease.

Thanks. But i've already finished the meikon grease.
you are putting too much grease on, way too often... the housing comes with enough grease for several lifetimes.

as noted some types of orings go soft if the wrong grease is applied. so best to stay with the supplied grease since there is no way to guess the oring material by color.

or you can use a grease that is safe for all oring types. google scubaboard and you should find a thread that declares christolube and tribolube safe for all oring types. i think...

Back
Top Bottom