Types of abalone at Fort Ross, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattaphore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did my first tank dive at Fort Ross this past Saturday and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing different critters from what I typically see down in Monterey... lots of abalone sea urchins... also lots of bullwhip kelp instead of giant kelp.

I came across this little guy in about 30-35 feet of water near the wreck remains of the SS Pomona, and I'm having trouble identifying what it might be...

AbaloneID.jpg
(Larger picture available HERE)

Definitely doesn't look like a red abalone nor does it look like a pink abalone. I don't think it's a green abalone, and it doesn't look like a black abalone... which leaves white abalone?

Reading up on white abalone, it sounds like they range from Point Conception to Baja, so it sounds unlikely that one would be all the way up in Fort Ross... am I going crazy?

Oh yeah, and dive details:
August 21st, 2011
Water temp: 50 F
Visibility: ~10 feet above the wreck due to plankton bloom, but after dropping down it opened up to ~15 feet.
Max depth: 43 ft.
Time: Forgot the time, it's on my computer and I haven't updated my log just yet...

That's a Pinto abalone or some people might call it a flat ab. I see them quite often.
They are small usually around 4" average, they have a light greenish to tan mantle and foot. The shell is delicate and has many small breathing holes.
Just be advised in case you were wondering, they are on the no no list to take both freedive or scuba.

90% of the abalone on the North Coast are Red's though. Sometimes we spot something different and cool though :D

Fort Ross is one of my favorite local dive sites. There are anchors to see, plus tons of fish if you get out further. The structure is pretty cool. I have barely toured the wreck itself, but did find something waaaay offshore that was about 4ft round and solid metal. Doubtful it was part of the Pomona though, since it weighs probably well over 1,000lbs and would have had to fly at least a 1/4 mile.

Flats and pintos are different species. (Flat = Haliotis walallensis and Pinto = Haliotis kamtschatkana)

That one looks like a flat, based upon the banded, mottled epipodium. Pintos have a green-brown, more uniform epipodium and their shells have a scalloped edge.

Flats are usually found in deeper water than reds (thus usually seen on scuba) and are typically out in the open on a rock face. Is that where you found this one?

They're rare, but I've seen one or two on the North Coast.

Great spotting and thanks for posting the picture.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome feedback! Yes, I did find it on top of an unprotected rock when I was on scuba.

I'm gonna pick up some ID books soon because I really enjoy looking up new critters I see after every dive...
(maybe the one Chuck was posting about earlier "Certainly More Than You Want to Know About The Fishes of The Pacific Coast, A Postmodern Experience").

After my tank dive around the bend at the Pomona, I put away my scuba stuff and returned to give free-diving for abalone a try. I picked 2 abs, one 8" and one 7 3/4" before accidentally dropping my ab iron... I went dove around a bit looking around for it but things looked all turned around so I decided to just leave it. It's somewhere in 20 feet of water, directly out from the middle of the cove. It's got a yellow handle on it and I wrote my name on it... but if you find it, finder's keepers, it's yours :D

Lesson learned: I'll keep my next ab-iron clipped to a float line going to my boogie board so I don't lose the next one :)

I've been under the impression that the yellow rings around the respiratory holes indicates Pinto's. I can't seem to find my book at the moment. I see them on just about every scuba dive I do below about 40' up here.

By the way I'll keep my eye out for your iron you never know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom