types of boats useful for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an artical on the Zodiac CZ7 in Popular Mechanics. Its gotta lotta carbon fiber and other exotic materials in it. The damned thing costs $200,000USD!! For a RIB!!! Holy Crap!

SuPrBuGmAn:
There is an artical on the Zodiac CZ7 in Popular Mechanics. Its gotta lotta carbon fiber and other exotic materials in it. The damned thing costs $200,000USD!! For a RIB!!! Holy Crap!

That's their new boat called the CZ7. It's trick!!!!!!!!
Check out the web site:
http://www.zodiaccz7.com

It looks as though I'm the minority here but I don't like RIB's for diving at all - at least in 3 ft waves or more. We had the crap kicked out of our bodies and our gear from the constant pounding. Not one guy went 2 days without a peice of gear geting broken or lost, where's the savings in that? Gearing up and getting in the water is difficult at best - getting out of the water is even worse. This made the diving no fun at all for the first time ever!
Single tanks might not be so bad but for doubles - forget about it! I'll never dive or even snorkle off a RIB again!

bridgediver:
It looks as though I'm the minority here but I don't like RIB's for diving at all - at least in 3 ft waves or more. We had the crap kicked out of our bodies and our gear from the constant pounding. Not one guy went 2 days without a peice of gear geting broken or lost, where's the savings in that? Gearing up and getting in the water is difficult at best - getting out of the water is even worse. This made the diving no fun at all for the first time ever!
Single tanks might not be so bad but for doubles - forget about it! I'll never dive or even snorkle off a RIB again!

Are you saying that a Bayliner will give you a better ride in these conditions? What is your recommendation for 16'-24' length?

I got reminded this weekend about another reason I prefer
a hard boat over an inflatable -- you gotta lean way
over to pull tanks in. The trailer for my Boston Whaler is
down (road debris accident two weeks ago, parts should
be in today), so I was diving off a friend's RIB. I tweaked
my back pulling my tank into the boat. With a hard boat
you can get just about right over the tank, and pull with
the knees and arms, not the back.

Chuck

overexposed2X:
My friend Uncle Pug has an 18' Whaler. While it is nice the ride is not as smooth since it does not have a V hull. My boat is easier to get in and out of since it is lower to the water. You have to take your tank off and clip it to a dangling rope, then dolphin kick on board. The ride is very dry and you can take the boat out in the worst conditions and still get home. Mine has a 140 four stroke Suzuki which I really like. She only burns 7 gal. an hour at 23 knots.
My friend OE2X has a very nice RIB and I really like diving with him out of it...

However:
1. My Montauk is 17' long and will only cost $65 per ferry ticket compared to his $135 :D
2. My Montauk will do 43 mph with a 90ph engine... if I put that Suzuki 140 on it I wouldn't need a ferry ticket... I could fly to BC.
3. We don't have to take our tanks off to climb up the ladder.
4. As Chuck pointed out it is tough dragging the rigs up over those tubes... but have someone in the water pushing did help.
5. My Montauk does have a V entry and rides smooth if I don't trim the motor up to get max speed.
6. My Friend OE2X's RIB does ride smoother at 23 than my Montauk does at 43. :D

Uncle Pug:
My friend OE2X has a very nice RIB and I really like diving with him out of it...

However:
1. My Montauk is 17' long and will only cost $65 per ferry ticket compared to his $135 :D
2. My Montauk will do 43 mph with a 90ph engine... if I put that Suzuki 140 on it I wouldn't need a ferry ticket... I could fly to BC.
3. We don't have to take our tanks off to climb up the ladder.
4. As Chuck pointed out it is tough dragging the rigs up over those tubes... but have someone in the water pushing did help.
5. My Montauk does have a V entry and rides smooth if I don't trim the motor up to get max speed.
6. My Friend OE2X's RIB does ride smoother at 23 than my Montauk does at 43. :D

1. True - but your truck is smaller and you don't nailed for over height.
2. True - See you need the long shaft to keep the prop in the water when you are skipping over the waves.
3. True - but I don't have a ladder. I may have to build one for the stern.
4. True
5. True - while it's in the air it doesn't hurt a bit. It's just the sudden landings that beat you up. Come to think of it though I've had my rib airborn a few times, but without divers and gear. A secret about UP - He likes fast boats and even faster cars. Good thing it stops there...
6.False - See above. Hey I got her up to 32 knots the other day with four people on board. 6100 rpm - now that's sporty. We'll see how she performs if I get the 200 hp upgrade. It's still a long way from Seattle to Powell River though. I think I'll drive to at least Earls Cove in the truck.

:wink:

overexposed2X:
Are you saying that a Bayliner will give you a better ride in these conditions? What is your recommendation for 16'-24' length?

Nope, not saying that at all. just adding what I experienced with RIB's. As for a recommendation I'm not that well versed in boats to provide any but I will say this; if a RIB is the solution I'll be looking for a different problem.

An RIB ride makes a bull rider look like a pussy

It's not what it's made of (RIB vs hard boat), or who made
it (Bayliner vs. Boston Whaler vs. Avon vs. ...), but rather
the shape of the hull that determines the ride. The deeper
the V, the better the ride, the lower the gas mileage, and
the less stability at anchor. It's all a trade off.

We've been out on a couple of charters that were on a 32 foot sailboat. We spent an hour or so going out. It was pretty quite even though it was a diesel so we all talked and enjoyed each others company. The boat easily hauled 7 divers and the skipper. The ride was smooooooth, there was a head and on the surface interval we were served a hot meal.

Now that's living....

DrDuktayp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom