Types of currents and how to deal with them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving in an area prone to tidal runs, or currents, (not the same thing) your first priority should be to ensure you are as streamlined as possible underwater.
This you must do BEFORE diving.
Arrange gear so as to offer the least resistance to the water. I often see divers that are festooned with gear - dangly bits - that they look like Christmas Trees!
Not a nice way to be, even on a current-free dive.
Having arranged your gear your next consideration is the weight you carry. Being negatively buoyant is NOT the best way to dive!!

As another poster has said, you can use your BC to obtain lift in a Downcurrent. But you need to get the maximum lift available.
You will not achieve this if your BC is compensating for the extra 8lbs on you belt that you don't need.
So go correctly weighted, i.e. neutral at 10-15ft with 500psi in your tank.

I post this as a reminder that the best way to dive in ANY current is to be prepared for it.

That extra weight on your belt can kill you.

Then, when you find yourself in a current, you can enjoy the experience, which is - after all - the ultimate aim of our passion.

Seadeuce

I disagree regarding downwelling currents and getting close to the topograqhy. Usually the downwelling current is closely related to the wall, reef or other structure. Moving AWAY from the structure will normally get you out of the current. There is no perfect rule here but if you have been moving along the wall ande suddenly hit the "down elevator"simply reverse course. At any rate getting away from the wall will usuallly get you out of the elevator. If the current is being caused by tides then moving up to the wall and holding on could be an exercile in futility. I know this seems counter instinctual - because in currents we normally hug the bottom and find the current abates. This is NOT usually the case with downwelling currents. Last resort is fill the bc as this can cause out of control rapid ballon to the surface - but it beats the alternative if Davey Jones is in sight.

This is a helpful advice in lateral currents, but IMHO it's one that shouldn't be adhered to across the board. In areas of the world where groups of islands, in conjunction with significant tidal ranges, can cause ripping currents in any conceiveable direction, just "going with" the current can mean you might never be seen again.

Possibly the most dangerous is a downwelling current, which can carry a diver hundreds of feet down in a few handfuls of seconds. I've never had the (dis)pleasure of being in one this extreme, but this is a case where you consider reaching for the elevator button on your BC and get as close to the surrounding topograpy as possible, allowing the current to pass over you.

We were faced with a very strong upcurrent during one dive at Wakatobi. While you're probably not going to disappear, the danger here is being carried to the surface way faster than a normal, safe ascent rate. Forget trying a safety stop. In this case we were along a wall, and blew our BC's and tucked in close to the wall while finning almost straight down to control ourselves.

I disagree regarding downwelling currents and getting close to the topograqhy. Usually the downwelling current is closely related to the wall, reef or other structure. Moving AWAY from the structure will normally get you out of the current. There is no perfect rule here ....

I think you're right in the sense that there's "no perfect rule." There have actually been other threads aout this subject, and there were opinions on both sides ... stay close to the wall, or don't stay close. I'd think it probably differs with how & where the downcurrent is generated, and you have to be ready for either case.

If you are ocean diving and you find yourself being swept out to sea, deploy a die pack, and pray. Did I mention, bring a die pack?

I'm hoping you meant "dye" pack. :D

Terry

True. the best advice is DON'T panic, even though it is scary as hell when you feel like you are in free fall. Think then act but don't think very long :) reverse course while thinking as this should be the fastest way out. Down currents are waaaay scarier than sharks.

That was a good one web monkey

If you are diving in an area prone to tidal runs, or currents, (not the same thing) your first priority should be to ensure you are as streamlined as possible underwater.
Seadeuce

Seaduce makes a good point about streamlining. In addition to what he said, that proper amount of weight needs to be placed so you are positioned horizontally into the current, reducing your area exposed to the current.

Gulf of Mexico currents can be 5+ knots toward the surface & when in them, make sure you hit a tag line on the way back & pull like hell back to the boat--- otherwise deploy your smb & 'enjoy' your 30 minute surface drift.....

Back
Top Bottom