Typhoon damage apparently severe on Yap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you have any near term plans to visit Yap, be advised that they were bullseyed by a powerful typhoon in the last couple of days and reportedly have heavy damage to the airport and many other facilities. Would be a very good idea to check in before heading out.

Make your check out to AYUDA FOUNDATION, with memo "for Yap Relief fund." Mail to:

Ayuda Foundation
823 E. Sunaet Blvd.
Barrigada GMF
GU 96913

Volunteers were manning Ayuda's phone today -- Easter Sunday. Your check can go a long way in buying bottled water and immediate supplies until FEMA flights deliver tarps, bedding, canned goods.

I received the following update in an email from Pete Petersen of Mincronesian Divers Association in Guam.

I have just received a phone call on the status of Yap from Bill Ackers contact here,who in turn got a phone call from one of the few cell phones still workng there from his daughter.

For those of you who have been there you know how vulnerable the buildings and infrastructure are so think about this as you read this.

Yap received over 6 hours of winds greater than 100mph, with most above 120.
There are over 1,000 homeless people there as any home that was not concrete is no longer liveable in.. The main power for the island is down as the generator was flooded. The water level rose approx 8-10' ABOVE the high tide level, and many, many areas are flooded.

The Manta Ray Bay Hotel survived as its concrete but has no water or power. Their main generator and compressor was completely flooded. The Mnew (very large 170 ship) is either on the road or leaning against the bridge behind the hotel.

The island is really devistated to a much greater degree that we every have been. Yap does NOT get storms like this for literally a hundred years, so they are not prepared as we are.

Here is what is needed immediately:

Common medicines for fever, nausea, pain reducers, BABY FOOD, toilet paper, soap, cleaning supplies, WATER, dry cereals, aspirin, lighweight clothes that are in useable condition, tarpaulins,canned food that are staples (tuna, SPAM, etc.)that don't need to be cooked

Come on divers.....they need our assistance very badly.

Bring any donations to either store. We will get it to where it needs to go to get there.

Thanks, Pete

How did the reefs take it? When I was there last, we dove Magic Kingdom and our dive guide mentioned it was no longer magical, but a barren flat with dead coral rubble because of a typhoon a few years ago.

Just got my copy of Sport Diver yesterday, with an article on Yap (pre-typhoon). Wonder if I should bother reading it now.

We were in Yap 3 months ago for a week. It sickens me to think what the island looks like (there is a very long report on Rodale's by someone who lives there)....but I guess that's nature's way of saying time to clean house.

It will be intersting to see how much reef damage there is. Of course, the mantas will be there....M'il Channel cleaning stations are deep and unlikely to be affected.

Chris

Dave V, the manager at Beyond the Reef emailed me and said that everything is fine as far as diving goes, he says he was operational just a few days after the typhoon. I'll be there again in July!

Back
Top Bottom