U-352

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

200 Bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Could any locals tell me the boat ride time to the U-352..?? Was thinking about March or April, or would summertime be a better time in hopes of getting out to it...??

Thanks

You can figure on 1 1/2 hours to get to the sub. Of course that depends on the boat and the wave height for the day. I find it a pleasant run. Some here dive year round but I believe the visibility will be much better starting in June than March or April if thats a concern and you'll have less chance of being blown out.

You can figure on 1 1/2 hours to get to the sub. Of course that depends on the boat and the wave height for the day. I find it a pleasant run. Some here dive year round but I believe the visibility will be much better starting in June than March or April if thats a concern and you'll have less chance of being blown out.

Than we will plan for June than...Thanks !!

What Frank said...

The sub is right at 30 miles from the inlet and most of the boats run between 14 and 20 knots depending on sea conditions. In summer the prevailing wind is SW and it is very common for it to blow a steady 15 knots. Out of Beaufort inlet, the sub and most of the other wrecks are due south, giving us a quartering head sea out and a following sea back. That breeze will make it a steady 3-4 sea, so it takes a bit longer to get out there, and the ride is bumpier, but the good news is that after 2 awesome dives you get a faster more comfortable ride back to the dock.

And of course, we often get beautiful days that are easy both ways.

What Frank said...

The sub is right at 30 miles from the inlet and most of the boats run between 14 and 20 knots depending on sea conditions. In summer the prevailing wind is SW and it is very common for it to blow a steady 15 knots. Out of Beaufort inlet, the sub and most of the other wrecks are due south, giving us a quartering head sea out and a following sea back. That breeze will make it a steady 3-4 sea, so it takes a bit longer to get out there, and the ride is bumpier, but the good news is that after 2 awesome dives you get a faster more comfortable ride back to the dock.

And of course, we often get beautiful days that are easy both ways.

Thanks Captain...my wife is prone to sea sickness but is an avid diver and takes it in stride, that why I asked...The ride is not her problem, its the surface interval in a rolling sea, and diving in shallow water in a surge...The funny thing is we ran our own charter in the Gulf for a few years on Delta Boat cert. for 21 divers and two crew and she never quite got used to it !!!
Thanks again, c ya in a few months....

as most said June July August are three of the best Months but plan early book early they usually fill up fairly guick unless middle of week then its hit or miss.

Some folks just never get over it. Legend has it that Captain George Purifoy fought it his entire life, and he went to sea every possible day. Most all of the boats running offshore out of Beaufort inlet do a 2 hour SI between dives, and move between sites. That helps us minimize the time rolling at anchor. We seldom have much surge at the deeper sites, unless there is a big storm way out to sea, but current can be an issue.

All in all, you will love NC diving.

I think you have all answered my questions too. We are looking to come out this summer, but it looks like the only time that will work for us is either mid-May or in August. I was hoping that May would work best as we always do California in August-Sept timeframe. I guess this year we may have to pick one or the other. :crying2:

August has some of the best visibility offshore. It's not a guarantee but you might find up to 80' of vis. You'll want to line up your trip early since it is the busiest time as well.

Back
Top Bottom