u-853 penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Incredible. I cant see anything anymore! Where's that I beam!!! Cheers.

Incredible. I cant see anything anymore! Where's that I beam!!! Cheers.

If you are looking at the tube, it's right above you and in-line with the tube. Remember, there are two I-beams and both run from the tube back to the loading hatch.

Here is a photo of U-570's torpedo room, you can see the size of the I-beams at both sides of the photo. They are in-line with the outboard edge of the bunks.

Attachments

• U-570Photo10.jpg
    U-570Photo10.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,514
Last edited:
Thanks Pete! Now I'm really looking forward to my trip.

Have you been on this wreck before? We dove it last August and it's a good wreck. What charter boat are you guys diving? We used Atlantis Dive charters from New London, and are gonna use them again. Last year we didn't swim through, just barely penetrated the blast holes to look around. This year we want to go through.

We're using the same dive op. We'll likely take the outside tour and maybe drop into the larger bomb holes to look around. No plans to do anything close to the full tour as described in Pete's (Gilldiver) excellent description.

Thanks Pete! Now I'm really looking forward to my trip.

There is plenty to see outside the boat and in the bomb holes for a number of dives. It took me more then a few years before I was venturing forward into the crews quarters and forward torpedo room.

Also, the silt is at the bottom lip of the upper tubes, so the space is tight. No diver needs to go into these areas on their first, or even 10th visit.

Any tricky snaggs, or tight squeezes?

uhh...the whole wreck is full of tricky snaggs and tight squeezes. I've been through with a set of twin LP 85's and struggled...that was 10 years ago. I've been back several times since, but did not penetrate. The condition of this wreck, like others, is deteriorating. Lots of wires, fallen steel plates, misc other debris scattered about. Plus, the whole think has settled into the seafloor somewhat. There can be ghost lines and fishing nets on the outside of the wreck.

guess the short story is that it is a good dive on a good day, and it can be penetrated safely if you take the time to know your way around. Going in on the blind is a bad idea. I know a few extremely experienced wreck divers who got turned around in a silt out in there and had a really hard time getting out. If conditions are marginal to begin with, dont even bother...plenty to see on the outside of the wreck. I've seen stacks of huge codfish, porbeagle sharks, etc. Lots of cool artifacts laying out in the sand if you take some time to look for them as well.

I don't plan on doing the "grand tour" this trip. Maybe sometime in the future. We plan on going from forward blast hole to aft blast hole. My only concern is the spacing between the deisel engines. I'm a pretty big guy, 225lbs and 6'2" wearing a neoprene dry suit and twin 119's. Do you guys think I'll fit between the deisels? I'm not really worried about getting stuck, just don't want to be disappointed!

I'm 6'3" and now up to 270 and can get through with my double 100's. But you have to be clean - no dangles, stage bottles, etc.

Go slow, keep your fins still and finger tip walk through. By that I mean you move along by slectively placing and pulling with only you fingers.

I have not been out there for about 2 years so the fule lines may not be there anymore. If they are, they run horizontal about 1/2 way up the engines. I keep my shoulders above them and use them as rails to do the finger walking on.

We're using the same dive op. We'll likely take the outside tour and maybe drop into the larger bomb holes to look around. No plans to do anything close to the full tour as described in Pete's (Gilldiver) excellent description.

One other thing to note. If you penetrate the Control Room you may see a plastic
Flamingo hanging on the Periscope stock. Rest assured, that is not original to the Sub.

Did the dive this morning. Really nice! Vis was about 20-25 feet. The interior was super cool. We went from the forward blast hole through to the back blast hole. Plenty of room for a big diver. Even between the engines, I stayed slightly above the fuel lines and had NO problems. After that we swam outside back to the bow. We went in the torpedo loading hatch, into the forward torpedo room, then into the crew quarters. Didn't go through to the forward blast hole but should have. I turned around and came back out the torpedo hatch, because of a mis communication with my buddy! Gilldiver's info is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!! There is more room in there than I anticipated. I'm 6'2" 225lbs, neoprene drysuit and twin 119's..... I had plenty of room everywhere in the wreck that I went. We left our deco tanks at the mooring with a stobe. I wouldn't try to go through with deco bottles on. Also he's absolutley right about the silt in the forward torpedo room! Be CAREFUL and have fun. Thank's to Gilldiver and others who contributed info for the post. Bell47.

Back
Top Bottom