U.S. Not Doing Enough to Protect Coral Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisch:
I come back therefore to where I started - I think the Bush administration should be seen to be more green and less big oil. Even if its just for show it would set an example and then maybe we would not be able to shake our heads at the Chinese/Indians whatever for their lack of environmental care. If we wait for the market (whatever you think that is) it will be too late.
Chris
Right on Chris!! I second that! What gave birth to the Environmental Protection Agency in the US ? - Pollution!

Let's be proactive for a change.

Nick

chrisch:
I read somewhere (Dun & Bradstreet I think) about a US project to build new reefs using old tyres. The tyres (sorry y'all: tires) were fixed together and sunk as a base for the polyps to grow on. That is the sort of thing I like to see the US doing - and really its historic role in the last 100 years - being at the front of the curve. Sadly (like the UK) I think it is a bit washed up now.

I come back therefore to where I started - I think the Bush administration should be seen to be more green and less big oil.

See - this is a classic example of rhetoric overtaking simple mindpower (with all due respect, Chris.)

They did do a tire wall off Florida, and it ended up being a disaster for the environment. There are threads on here about the best way to recover all those tires, now. The tires are too light, and shift too much in ocean currents. The unstable environment means they shift around on the bottom of the ocean floor, scrubbing out a giant 'dead zone.' There's not a whole lot that can live down there amongst all that moving rubber.

There are no simple solutions. And by the way - it was the Bush administration which is heavily subsidizing biodiesel and ethanol production - far, far more than even neighbouring countries like my native Canada. To label Bush as 'big oil' is simply inaccurate.

Boogie711:
You know what? I look forward to seeing the movie, but let's put this in perspective. I want to go simply because I like Roland Emmerich's work. I'm a guy, and I thought Independence Day and The Patriot were kick-@ss. (Definitely American-centric, but what isn't these days?)
Boogie - Like I said - thanks for posting your article. However - how did you manage to write it if you haven't seen the film yet?! I thought that you'd seen it at one of those film critics pre-release showings.

KimLeece:
Boogie - Like I said - thanks for posting your article. However - how did you manage to write it if you haven't seen the film yet?! I thought that you'd seen it at one of those film critics pre-release showings.

Did you really read the article, Kim? :06:

I only ask because of lines like "What will be interesting is no so much the movie itself, which merely appears to be another American-centric big budget disaster movie, but rather, the reaction to the movie from both sides of the environmental spectrum. "

or

"What’s truly scary is not a big budget disaster movie. After all, no one is really worried about transgenic cloned dinosaurs attacking us, in the aftermath of “Jurassic Park.” What’s scary is that Gore’s thinking may be correct. In an election year, every vote matters, and political regulators run scared at any opportunity. There may very well be regulatory impacts – much less serious discussion – based on a Hollywood work of fiction."

It's not about the movie. It's about making regulatory decisions in the wake of a Hollywood work of fiction that disturbs me.

Yes Boogie - I really did read it! I also agree with large parts of it! I just got the impression that you'd seen it though (that doesn't negate what you are saying though) :peace2:

Boogie711:
They did do a tire wall off Florida, and it ended up being a disaster for the environment. There are threads on here about the best way to recover all those tires, now. The tires are too light, and shift too much in ocean currents. The unstable environment means they shift around on the bottom of the ocean floor, scrubbing out a giant 'dead zone.' There's not a whole lot that can live down there amongst all that moving rubber.
If we gave up after every failed experiment, would we have gotten much farther than Australopithecus ?
:earthors:

Nick:jestera:

nope... just ourselves

jkennedy:
"Be Ye so vain to think man can destroy the world"
Ask the last couple of remaining Mountain Gorillas or better yet, the Dodo bird.

Hi Boogie I did read the report that you gave the link to and also quiet a few others and what I got from all of them was yes we are contributing to Global warming as opposed to the green house effect. Your link also showed that the US has more unwanted emissions than any other country and that they had not halted the increase but slowed it down along with the other major producing countrys.
All agreed that we are affecting the climate, the discrepancy seems to be by how much and how long before it becomes critical.
I agree with Calypsonick we have to attempt to do something, no we dont have all the answers but thats one of the neat things about life we learn by our mistakes. If we had not keepet going after the first rocket blew up then we would have never landed on the moon.
Im not puting you down but most of your posts on this subject SEEM to have been of a negative nature you have mentioned on a number of post ethanol and biodiesel on the positive side but I think the majority of posts think we still have a long way to go. Im not sure just where your stance is on this, do you think we are doing ok as things stand right now if not what do you think we should and can do.
Again dont take this as flying of the handel my posts can be taken out of context like yours ie I also thought you had seen the movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom