UFO or Jellyfish? You decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Fic

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These were taken in Dumaguete in the Philippines. Our dive master called them "Upsidedown Jellyfish". Can anyone comfirm that or are they called something else also? Thanks for looking, again.

Unknown Jellyfish.jpg

Unknown Jellyfish 3.jpg

Can anyone comfirm that or are they called something else also?

Yes, they (Cassiopeia sp.) are commonly known as "upside down jellyfish.".

I've heard them called Cassiopea

Ninja Edit...Vie beat me to it

I am sorry, i know I am new and all, but I whole heartedly disagree with the previous two posters ID of your photo. It is clear to me and anyone with even a bit of common sense that what you have there is a genuine UFO! I mean really, "Upside down Jelly fish", you couldn't come up with anything better than that??:D

nice photos by the way!

Whatever it is - you took awesome pictures of it!!!

Yep, they are found throughout the tropics and subtropics. The ones I've seen in the Sea of Cortez and Florida live in mangroves.

You can read further about the North American ones in my newspaper column on them.

Very interesting critters!

By the way... nice pictures of them!

Last edited:
Not sure what it is but I will say those two images are awesome!!

I am sorry, i know I am new and all, but I whole heartedly disagree with the previous two posters ID of your photo. It is clear to me and anyone with even a bit of common sense that what you have there is a genuine UFO! I mean really, "Upside down Jelly fish", you couldn't come up with anything better than that??:D
Yep -- UFO: Underwater Floating Object

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom