Ugh, feeling like a doubles newbie again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I started down the cave/wreck road 3 years ago and then got derailed. 2 years of almost no diving, but started back this year. Been doing the single tank BP/W with the long hose to get used to it again. Last couple days, I pulled out a set of double AL80s to practice with while my son had fun catching crawdads and sunfish.

Anyway, I didn't remember the gear feeling like it did and I'm contemplating switching wings. I currently have an old model H 55# explorer and this thing feels HUGE. The tanks near empty would be about +8 on buoyancy, so using a 5# SS plate and 3 pounds. That means the dive started with 8#s of steel and lead, plus -8 on the tanks which is 16 pounds negative at splash. That 16#s of air, sitting that wide, made me feel VERY "wobbly" especially since most of my weight was riding high (tanks). My HP100s would be even worse starting at -20#.

Am I correct that I need a narrower wing? My Oxyxheq machV is so awesome that it just disappears underwater. Am I expecting too much with a doubles wing, or is there room for improvement? Do I need to just suck it up and learn how to dive like a big-boy again?

On a positive side note, my valve drills went much smoother than expected!

Yes --for double 11L cylincers (AL80's), I use a Halcyon 40 Explorer Wing. My Halcyon 55 I use for double 13L (AL100's) and double 17L (Steel 104's). . .

Using the H 55 with the AL80's, I get the "taco" effect along with a little more difficulty dumping trapped air spaces to vent the wing (sometimes breaking horizontal trim to go vertical and dump through the deflator hose). . .

Double 80s, that's your problem. Time to sidemount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

40 Evolve wing or the Light Monkey 40. All you need.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have been looking at some 40# wings. I don't know if I'll be switching to SM anytime soon, I'm stubborn and don't like changing from something that has worked for so long (even if it might be a better and more comfortable change).

---------- Post added July 13th, 2014 at 09:22 AM ----------

40 Evolve wing or the Light Monkey 40. All you need.

wow, that LM-45 is 4.7 inches narrower than my H-55! On a side note, is this the weing you were mentioning? I can't find an actual 40# LM wing.

Dive addicts had some super deals on wings, see if they still do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a 38lb HOG doubles wing for al80's and Lp 72's. Enough lift and nice and compact. Of course it's been relegated to student use now for Intro to Tech Classes. Now that I am sidemount I much prefer it over back mount.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom