Uhm, did you ever try this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm at 30-odd metres and too cheap to inflate my bcd from the tank so I think "what the hell, I'll just inflate the damn thing orally" - which I do.

Now the Bcd has some water in it to begin with so the air is bubbling out in those slow annoying gulps - even as I put my mouth on it to blow.

And what do you know: My tongue is caught in the inflator mouth piece - in the vacuum between gulps.

I remember thinking "why this is an interesting way to drown".

My tongue came loose though, before I had to apply the proper contingency procedure which is of course: Cup your hand above your upper lip and purge a steady but conservative stream of air from the reg past the inflator and into your hand and breathe from the airspace.

Do you have suggestions as to how to get the tongue loose if helplessly stuck.

I believe we could be pioneering some very important techniques here ;0)

Did you post this in Humor, Games, etc. on purpose?

1. Take a breath from your reg.

2. Put the oral inflator in your mouth.

3. Depress the manual button.

4. Blow into the oral inflator.

5. Release the manual inflator button.

6. Remove your mouth from the oral inflator.

7. Take a breath from your regulator.

8. Repeat if necessary.

Sasquatch:
Did you post this in Humor, Games, etc. on purpose?

But of course - I thought the incident was rather on the far side and we had a good laugh about on the boat.

And Walter, thanks a bunch but I wasn't asking how to orally inflate ;0) - I did that in the first place (and have done so on numerous occasions) that is how it all came about in the first place.

It was the tongue-removing manoeuvre I was thinking about. I have a few suggestions myself but would like to hear something creative.

Why would your tongue get stuck in the first place. I'd think that the pressure in the bcd would prevent that. But, if you did somehow get it stuck, I'd think that pressing both the auto-inflation button and the manual inflation button at the same time would help. Alternatively, use your dive knife to save your life.

And, if this really happened to me, I'd never let it be made public, i.e. on SB.

ItsBruce:
And, if this really happened to me, I'd never let it be made public, i.e. on SB.

Well why not?

Well, if you're about to drown, there's always your surgical shears...Keep the piece so it can be re-attached...:e18:

Well, why reach for a tool? If it's stuck just bite it off...(I need to sit down now, ew).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom