UK light canon, as a video light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried a manual white ballance? I think you would want to use a white dive slate at the same distance as the subjects you are shooting.

rubbachicken:
hi there
i think i remember seeing some kind of diffuser when i got the torch, if you mean the one that came with it, but i cannot find it now, will that change the color, i don't think as it is it's any brighter than other torches out there, it's just too blue/ cold, i used it as a video light and it just drains the color away
i don't want to have to replace the light, but at the moment it's no good
any idea's

rubbachicken:
hi all
is there a light color corection filter avaliable, using my light canon when others are using different lights, i have noticed that it drains away the color
if i'm going to use my light canon as a video light, well for that matter even for wreck or night diving, i'll need to correct the color of the light
also what rechargable battery pack is avaliable for the torch
thanks in advance for your input

The UK "Light Canon" emits light that is very close to sunlight in color. If the video looks washed out it is because it is over exposed. This is understandable because the light canon has a narow beam and your camera likely has a wide lens. A defuser (Just a hunk of white translucent plastic) will match the beam width of the light to the lens' viewing angle. There should never be a need to adjust the light. You can adjust the camera's white ballance by shooting a white dive slate.

found the filter things to try,
will give the white balance a go aswell
but a spot ebaying found me a D8 for cheaps
so one way or another i hope problem solved
:wink:

thanks all

rubbachicken:
hi all
is there a light color corection filter avaliable, using my light canon when others are using different lights, i have noticed that it drains away the color
if i'm going to use my light canon as a video light, well for that matter even for wreck or night diving, i'll need to correct the color of the light
also what rechargable battery pack is avaliable for the torch
thanks in advance for your input

I use 2 UK light Cannons for my U/W video,(Sony VX2000, Sea&Sea Housing) and they put out a lot of light. I suspect you are just washing out your image(exceeding the dynamic range of the ccd). I have mounted a 6 inch frosted plexiglass panel, no color, about 3 inches in front of the light unit w/ a homeade scaffold. Great diffusiion. Also consider some good arms for the lights(2 lights really illuminate better than one), the light can then be in a plane different than the lens for favorable shadows. I use alkaline batts, less hassle and unlimited use per day(vs. 3+ sets of rechargables?)

I used one as well, and 2 points I noticed,
1), set the 'White Balance' on your video camera to match the light
2) I made a bracket for mine so my video housing sat on top of the light (oh braket made from a 'Quick release' tripod bracket from Camera Shop junk 50cent box
and filed to shape

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom