Uk Sl6 / Sl4 Led Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it is a drop for the same surefire light as the one I used I cant think of a reason why it wouldn't work. not sure if they are better or not.

the module fits also in the Cressi Luciola. It just need a ring of different size to fit (38 mm outer diameter).

BTW. nice upgrade for such a small light

How many batteries does the cressi light use? If it is only two then the emitter will be fairly dim because of the low voltage; however, if it takes c-cells then you can make an adapter to convert it to cr123 lithium cells which will give you plenty of voltage.

Does this mod work on the non-LED version of the SL-6??

And why do the batteries have to go in backward anyway?

The polarization of the replacement emitter is the other way around, that's why.

BTW, my second attempt at this mod also failed. 1" ID is too small, I couldn't clamp them together in the (admittedly small) vise. I'll try a bigger vise or try to shave some al. off next.

And it doesn't seem to be any brighter than SL4 eLED. But if I can get it to work, it's a good mod for non eLED SL4, which is pretty cheap.

After grinding the emitter a bit I managed to clamp the whole thing together (phew!) And it works beautifully. It gets a bit warm and the head does not screw on fully but I think it'll be fine. It IS actually brighter than the SL4 eLED now that I had a chance to compare them side by side - I grabbed a cheap SL4 and modified that, leaving my eLED intact. I'm happy!

EDIT: Nope, I spoke too soon. It flooded and the emitter is now dead.. I give up. Nice mod in idea, but it's not working for me.

Last edited:
Hudson,

how wide are you making the pipe ring? if its too wide that could stop the head from screwing down and make it leak.

Brendan

Cross posted from my local forum -

I purchased a Drop in module for a surefire light with a Cree Q5 in it. It came in the mail today, and I promptly tore it apart and stuffed it into my second hand Photon Torpedo. The same should work for anyone with a Scout, or UK SL4/SL6.

Here's the module I bought, (~$13)
Q5Module.jpg

The reflector threads onto the LED module, so it's actually somewhat focusable which is nice.

It's the same length as the original UK drop in that was in the PT, but it's quite a bit smaller in diameter.
Dropin-UKheight.jpg

Dropin-UKdiam.jpg

So I took a piece of old Maglite I had laying around, and cut a ring out of it, then squished it and wrapped it with metal tape to get the right diameter. Make sure it's the same height as the old drop in's upper ring, or this won't work.
Ringheight.jpg

DropinwRing.jpg

After that, flip the batteries in your light (the center post on the drop in is (+), opposite of the orignial) and screw the head on. Mine actually seats better with the drop in than it used to with the original. about 1/4 twist from bottoming out the light comes on.

I compared it with the Maglite brand drop in that I have in my old pelican backup, and with the original UK drop in it came with - Pelican at the top, UK drop in on the left, Q5 drop in on the right.
Comparison.jpg

I like it. This is a really quick and easy (and Cheap!) way for people running halogen bulbs to upgrade, or people who just want a little more brightness out of their LED lights.

Here's the drop in I bought, cheap, but it took a while to get here -

DealExtreme: $12.42 Cree Q5 LED Drop-in Module (3.7V~18V Input)

Since I was in the mood (and I fried my primary the other day :pale: ) I mad a quick soft goodman handle for it. Worked really well on my dive sunday.

GoodmanPT.jpg

Jake

Hudson,

how wide are you making the pipe ring? if its too wide that could stop the head from screwing down and make it leak.

Brendan

Right, that was my problem. I ordered another emitter, fixed the ring, and now it works great.

Wrapping with metal tape is a pretty good idea, wish I'd thought of that. Would have made life much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom