Ulithi Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pacific Pete

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Ulithi Atoll (off of Yap)? Would appreciate any info you can provide, as we will be in the area this June.

Is it worth the trip? Apparently the only access is on the missionary plane.

Thanks!

My girlfriend just got from there last week for a medical/dental mission and she loved it. Ulithi is the 4th largest atoll in the world (Kwajalein, Christmas Island-Kiribati being # 1 and 2, don't know #3) and is UNTOUCHED for diving except for the few who dive through Ulithi Adventure Resort. The resort is pricey. Not fancy according to Tahiti or Fiji over-the-lagoon-bungalow standards, but clean, basic rooms that cost a bundle to stay in each night b/c it costs so much to transport building materials to a remote atoll. It sits about 100 miles NE of Yap and is serviced a few times a week through Pacific Missionary Aviation. The service is available to the public, not just missionaries. I'm a pilot and from what I've seen of their planes (2 Raytheon King Airs, multiengine), they're in excellent shape and the main pilot for that route (Peter) is German and has tons of flying experience. I think the max luggage is 50 lbs, including hand carry, and $1/lbs. thereafter.

As for the diving, the sites are wonderful from the photos that my girlfriend took (Oly C-4000/PT-015). Snorkeling just 300 feet off the resort along a wall that drops from 40-400 feet. She said that there's tons of fish, and on one snorkel adventure some large shapes appeared from the deep -- eagle rays that must have been 5 feet wingtip to wingtip, which is quite large for that species.

Only thing to watch out for is the airfills. On the only dive she was able to do, she and her two dive buddies got headaches 10 minutes into the dive. They thought it was b/c the compressor's exhaust empties into the same enclosed room as the tanks are filled, so make sure that isn't the case if you go there. The resort is the only place that has scuba. For that matter it's the only public accomodation in the entire atoll. They were able to get a reduced rate of $20/night, courtesy of the chief b/c of the free medical/dental services, but expect to pay $120+/night normal price. It'll seem steep for what you get, but that's how it is in remote islands with very little shipping/air freight.

The island has about 700 inhabitants, and at a neighboring island the chief has forbidden western clothing and alcohol. The atoll is very sedate, so don't expect a Phuket/Cabo party. Women still go about their daily lives without tops, wearing lava lavas and the men only thus -- both cover their bottom halves only. Walk single file through villages, and don't take photos of people unless you have their permission. There's a fabulous place called Turtle Island where hawksbill turtles go to lay eggs, but there was no gas on the whole atoll when she was there for the motorboats to go out.

Have fun -- you'll be one of the handful of people in the world to experience Ulithi.

Wow, thanks for the fast response. Sounds terrific!

We will have our two children (ages 8 & 9) with us---they are good little adventurers. So we will mostly be snorkeling.

Would you mind asking your girlfriend how she thinks our kids will find Ulithi? Did she notice many resident kids? Also, notice any closer-to-shore snorkeling possibilities?

Very much appreciated!

No problem, I'll ask her. There's plenty of snorkeling just off the beautiful white sandy beach in front of the resort -- the 300 foot figure is if you want to get to the wall dropoff. Stick to the shallow shelf before that for shallow water snorkeling.

Check out Pacific Missionary Aviation and some scenes from Ulithi.

http://www.pmafms.org/yap1.htm

I don't know the prices, but you can also get there by private charter from Guam.

If it gets too pricey or inconvienient, you might consider Yap ... still a fairly sedate island, but a LITTLE more infrastructure.

Hi,
I'm the girlfriend who just got back from Ulithi. I found it a wonderful place and can't wait to go back next year.

The snorkelling right off the resort is terrific and the water is fairly shallow and there was not much current at all when we were there - though I only got to snorkel once and dive once since we were there to work...

Since the resort is fairly new and tourism worldwide has not really rebounded from 9/11, the island of Ulithi is still fairly untouched by western culture. This is one of the great things about it in my opinion, but may change rapidly and SOON since they are hoping to get direct flights in from Guam within the next year. There is some western cultural influence since the Outer Islands High School does have internet access, but much less so than in Yap proper (which felt like a huge city after a week on Ulithi!).

Four of the six nights we were there, we were the only people staying at the resort (and the only non Caucasians on Ulithi). The other two nights there was a couple from Pohnpei there to fix the cell phone tower that had been damaged the year before. By next year the whole atoll will have wireless internet - which is odd considering right now there are no phones and the average income per family is $200 a year....

There are a lot of kids on the island. They all speak English quite well, but are often a bit quiet (at least with "the dentist" - could be different with other kids...) As you walk through the villages, they all call out "hello" and "good bye". There are about 80 kids in the elementary school and I'm not sure how many at the OIHS. There is a covered basketball court where the kids congregate to play after school and on weekends. Sometimes they set up a volleyball net there as well and play volleyball. So, if your kids are into experiencing other cultures and meeting new kids, it could be the experience of a lifetime for them. On the other hand, if they need MTV and PopTarts every day.... it may be quite different... All depends on the kid.

I don't know where Mar got the "walk in single file through the villages" thing... but I do recommend you ask before taking pictures of people. No one ever said no to having their picture taken, and between the four of us on the trip we took hundreds of photos, of people, life in the villages, the scenery, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions on Ulithi, and if I can't answer them, I'll check with my friend who has gone every year for the last 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom