Ultimate light weight wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a no plate wing with no STA and light weight tank bands suitable for backpacking? that would roll up small and weigh about 2-3 #? would it work for 2-3 dives a day for 2 weeks? I am not sure the weight savings would be all that much removing the Al plate but bulk would definitely be reduced.

Oxycheq has something like what you are talking about -- soft plate, adjustable harness. I tried it on at DEMA last year.

I'm getting a Zeagle Express BC that would seem to fit the requirements as well. I'm ordering it with plain elbow and short inflator.

there are some with a "soft" backpack, see above. but you'll need two cambands for them.

My setup is also optimized for weight, although not as radically as yours.
It is a DSS Kydex plate, their 30lbs LCD wing, hog harness with all stainless hardware, and a "custom" integrated weight system consisting of 6 weight pockest and some additional webbing. It weighs in at 7.8lbs.

I am guessing that this could roughly be cut in half by:
- using plastic buckle and d-rings/stopper instead SS
- use a smaller lighter wiing, e.g. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=120
- eliminate 1 camband (no problem with a stiff plate)
- eliminate/reduce weight integration

What I always find a nuisance when packing small is the stiff webbing.
For the limited application as you described, I suggest to consider the more plyable, softer 2" webbing often used for crotch straps. Also lighter weight.

Above approach would not quite get you to 2-3lbs, but has the beauty that you get a setup that can be easily re-configured for "regular" diving, i.e., more economical.

I find another great weight saver are fins: most people insist that only open heel fins are for "real" diving. However, I found for my purposes full foot fins are just as good and weigh in at less than 50%, also cheaper. Unless you need thick expsoure protection/boots, good way to go.

Let us know what you came up with.

I have the oxycheq ultralight plate and the 18lb mach v signature wing. Very compact setup and lightweight indeed.
If you want a wing that rolls up you can try the mach v razor. It rolls up pretty small!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom