ultra lite backpack questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I am thinking about getting this backpack and want to know if I will be able to use the dive rite transplate harness with it. Also, even though the mach v wing has the sta built in I want to know if I can still use the mini-sta's with the ultra lite pack.

Also would like feedback from those that are using it. I'm strictly a warm water dive :D

Rather than slots in a metal BP, there are 2 triglides at the top and 2 more at the bottom that the webbing goes through. I suppose you should be able to figure a way to use a harness but why? If you are not looking to cut a bunch of travel weight with this UL "plate" (heavy reinforced cloth actually) then you probably don't really want one of these. There are also 2 sets of grommets on 11" centers so it might be possible to add a STA but again, WHY? The tank straps will still have to weave through the UL plate as I doubt if the material around the grommets is strong enough to carry the full weight of the tank. So the rigidness of the tank mount still comes down to the heavy cloth plate that it must mount to. The Oxychec roll control devices seem to work fairly well. It is not as solid as a metal plate but it works OK with 63s and 80s and eats very little of your baggage allowance.

Rather than slots in a metal BP, there are 2 triglides at the top and 2 more at the bottom that the webbing goes through. I suppose you should be able to figure a way to use a harness but why? If you are not looking to cut a bunch of travel weight with this UL "plate" (heavy reinforced cloth actually) then you probably don't really want one of these. There are also 2 sets of grommets on 11" centers so it might be possible to add a STA but again, WHY? The tank straps will still have to weave through the UL plate as I doubt if the material around the grommets is strong enough to carry the full weight of the tank. So the rigidness of the tank mount still comes down to the heavy cloth plate that it must mount to. The Oxychec roll control devices seem to work fairly well. It is not as solid as a metal plate but it works OK with 63s and 80s and eats very little of your baggage allowance.

The trasnplate harness is similar to the oxycheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System... but is on sale at leisure pro right now for $60... I need to have quick release shoulder buckles due to a nasty shoulder surgery. I am going to see if my lds has the oxycheq adjustable harness for me to look at but still, if I can save close to $60 for just about the same thing, I can buy other goodies. :D:D

The trasnplate harness is similar to the oxycheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System... but is on sale at leisure pro right now for $60... I need to have quick release shoulder buckles due to a nasty shoulder surgery. I am going to see if my lds has the oxycheq adjustable harness for me to look at but still, if I can save close to $60 for just about the same thing, I can buy other goodies. :D:D

I have worked a QR into a standard webbing system so that is another option. I did mine without cutting the webbing but it added an extra 10 inches or so to aid doffing. I did not have any particular shoulder problem, just old age and inflexibility. It did not take me lonf to figure out I did not need it.

With the UL plate, you can thread through the hip keeper so the webbing will readily slide through it and add as much looseness to the shoulder strap(s) as your waist webbing will permit. If you don't that a D-ring or buckle on that side, you could even let it unthread if need be. or you can regulate how loose it will get by the placement of a D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom