Um... shouldn't an SPG go to a high pressure port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dumb question of the night... a friend (for whatever reason) is lacking an SPG. I get a loaner from my LDS, and it's pretty ancient but... it connects to a low pressure port. WTF? I thought this would have to go to a high pressure port!? What's up with this?

Hi,

Yes the pressure gauge goes to a igh pressure port.
Does it fit on an lp port ?
On most regs the threads are not the same for lp and hp ports.

Jim breslin

Very bizarre, then. I just wanted to make sure *I* wasn't crazy. I've always used consoles, not a standalone SPG so just wanted to make sure there wasn't something unusual. *sigh*

Thanks, Delta_P, that s'plains it. Cuz it IS ooooooold.

Yeah, older regulators didn't use the bigger diameter for the HP. All my Mk5s are like that.

Up until the late 60s or early 70s both LP and HP ports on regs had the same 3/8x24 threads and so putting the wrong hose in the wrong port was possible. Someone got the bright idea to change the standard port size to 7/16 to prevent this from happening and that has become the "standard" size for scuba HP ports ever since. While talking about port sizes, some dummy also decided that a 1/2 port would be better for the LP hoses. Useless idea but you will find some regs with 1/2 LP ports as well as 3/8 ports. I think Dacor started it but I have seen them on Dacors, Apeks and USD/Aqualung. There are port adapters available to convert 3/8 to 7/16, 7/16 to 3/8 and 1/2 to 3/8. It's not a bad idea to keep one of each on hand if you swap regs and equipment around much.

....interesting! I've been diving since 2001, am something of a scuba 'gearhead', even have some vintage (collectable twinhose regs) and I'd never heard of this 'issue'! Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom