Unanswered Catalina and Great Escape info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone.........

I will be coming to LA for a business trip in late August and am trying to work out the logistics so that I can do a day trip on the Great Escape to Catalina.

Join me and many other ScubaBoarders on August 29th! See the link in my signature. If you can't find a buddy that day, I would be happy to have you buddy up with me and my lovely bride.

It's very easy to move through the kelps:

1. Keep all your danglies tied/hooked to your BC. Knife strapped to the inside of the calf, or go on the waist belt.

2. Use your hands to part the kelps like you would do a breast stroke and then dive through.

3. When on the surface and encounter kelp, either a) dive down and go through it ala No. 2, or b) swim with your face down and use the arms to part the kelps. Swimming on your back through the kelp bed doesn't work too well.

It's very easy to move through the kelps:

1. Keep all your danglies tied/hooked to your BC. Knife strapped to the inside of the calf, or go on the waist belt.

2. Use your hands to part the kelps like you would do a breast stroke and then dive through.

3. When on the surface and encounter kelp, either a) dive down and go through it ala No. 2, or b) swim with your face down and use the arms to part the kelps. Swimming on your back through the kelp bed doesn't work too well.

Yes, you can sleep on the Great Escape. Any trip, the night before.
Crew will be there to have you sign all the paperwork and show your C-card, sign-in for your bunk, and you are set. Lots of people do it. You are allowed to start loading your stuff on the boat the night before around 8pm, or whenever the crew shows up and starts prepping the boat. We always sleep onboard as we drive in from out-of-state. There are lots of others who also sleep onboard who don't live in the area. Also, if you sleep onboard, you can set up your gear the night before and get a good spot.... those people arriving in the am are all half asleep and cranky, trying to schlepp dive gear from their cars and find an empty spot to put their tanks, etc.

If you really want a guide, you need to e-mail Tim and request one. I am sure he can find you someone to dive with you. But as mentioned before, you probably don't need one. The Catalina dives are always pretty easy and relaxing, just make sure you and buddy know how to use a compass to get back to boat. You won't be able to see it until you are very close, but you can listen for motor to help you know you are getting closer.

A few things you need to remember.... if you get caught in the kelp - freeze! Don't thrash around. Slowly try to located where you are hung up, if you can untangle alone go for it or let your buddy do it. Kelp is east to snap in half if needed.

Also... you MUST bring your own tanks and wts onboard. They don't have any onboard.
You also need a 7mm suit, one piece or two piece, and a hood and gloves. Water is cold and after a couple of dives it seems even colder. Bring dry clothes to change into after you dives, the ride back to mainland after diving is about 2 hours, plenty of time to catch a nap downstairs.
Also, you cannot go downstairs wet, no wetsuits, so you ask a crew member to get something out of your bunk if you need it. Otherwise, bring everything upstairs (like topside camera, logbook, sunscreen, hats, towels) and store them on one of the shelves in galley for easy access, or bring a dry bag to stow under your seat or with your dive bag stowed on sides of the boat in walkways.
You can bring your own small cooler onboard if you want beer or some special drinks other than sodas. (They have some beer onboard but it is extra $.)

See my photos of the boat here:
California on the Great Escape - August 2008
California Kelp 2007

robin:D

Thank you for the useful information. As I mentioned before, I do most of my diving in the Gulf where we don't have dives, but I wasn't sure how it worked in CA.

I'll need to rent a 7mm suit and hood, as well as tanks and weights. Is there a dive shop that works with people who go on this trip? I'd rather not pay for 2 days worth of equipment rental if there is somewhere that will let me rent on Friday and return Saturday evening.

Hi,
we have created 3 virtual dive sites in Catalina (Ship Rock North, Bird Rock and Isthmus Reef) that the GE might visit.
I would say that there is a good 60% probability that the GE will hit at least one of those 3 sites during a typical dive trip to Catalina.

Using our (free) scuba diving simulator you can check out from your home details of those dive sites including major terrain features, endemic marine life, depths, water temperature and visibility. You can also plan your dive in great details.

Here more info:
Ship Rock North
Video
Map
shiprock_webmap.jpg

Stay close to the rock .... or you will find yourself in ~300ft of water :D

Bird Rock
Video
Map
birdrock_webmap.jpg

East of the rock is quite deep (~170ft) but most likely the boat will anchor in the shallow plateau (~20ft) North West of the rock. If so, go and visit the wall just east of the boat.

Isthmus Reef
Video
Map
Isthmus_reef_webmap.jpg

Usually the boats here anchor in the shallow (~20 to ~30ft). I like to explore the wall in the North West of the dive site. It drops down from ~40ft to ~110ft quite quickly :wink:

Have fun and be safe

AM

Great site! Thanks!

Join me and many other ScubaBoarders on August 29th! See the link in my signature. If you can't find a buddy that day, I would be happy to have you buddy up with me and my lovely bride.

I have booked for the 29th and am all set to go. Look forward to meeting those from the board who will be there!

Most catalina dive sites are excellent at 15-20ft depth, and deeper, there can be good stuff at 50ft, 75ft, and deeper too, although for most catalina dives you really don't need nitrox.

temps in late august should be in the upper 60's, not too cold in a 7mm wetsuit

one item of interest, I find that because of the thicker-wetsuit, a good number of warm-water divers are either severely underweighted on their first cold-water dive (they barely make it down and then float up after a few minutes) or are quite over-weighted. good luck with this!

I think sport chalet will let you do 2 days of diving for a 1-day rental price, google them and call them

Pacific wilderness in San Pedro lets you rent after 3 pm on Friday and return before 3 pm on Sunday. I just went there today to rent my BC, tank, weight belt, reg for Saturdays trip to Catalina.

Thanks again for all the information from everyone. Can't wait for this trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom