Unbelievable conditions in Jupiter yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
So I played a little hooky yesterday morning and went out with Jupiter Dive Center's Republic IV piloted by Mike: As the thread title suggests, conditions were incredible.

We dove Captain Mike's Reef and Tunnels and saw an amazing amount of sea life.

Visibility: 60-100 feet

Current: mild north. The current was just strong enough to allow a dive of the complete Tunnels site in 45 minutes

Top side conditions: lake-like and smooth

Sharks: 15 reef sharks and 1 nurse shark (on Tunnels, the sharks seem to reside in three distinct areas, at the south or start of the dive, about mid-dive and then near the doughnut hole: it is possible I double counted a few that might have moved between areas)

Turtles: 12 loggerhead and 2 hawksbill (another diver indicated he saw a green as well)

Goliath Grouper: 20+ About 10 are hanging out on Tunnels at mid-dive, south of the doughnut hole. Usually 3 or 4 are in this area year round, but 10 are there right now. Last Saturday, I also saw, what I presume to be, the same 10 in that area.

Eels: 2 big green moray eels, 1 spotted and 1 goldentail

Rays: 2 southern rays

Tropicals: couple of huge schools of grunts and spadefish. It's pretty a special experience when large schools of fish envelope you as you gently drift along. Lots of other typical tropical fish were present too.

It was a perfect day to skip the office and hit the ocean instead!

Congratulations sportxlh !!! That was a good day !!! Things should be ramping up on the turtle scene in the near future. Isn't Palm Beach County a true jewel? People travel the world diving places with fewer big animals, and we can do it in our backyard at a moderate price.

Did you hear they saw a big, great white shark on the Deep Ledge today ? https://www.facebook.com/john.dickinson.54379?pnref=story

Nice! I'll be diving tomorrow afternoon with JDC. Did the tunnels a couple weekends ago. That was my best dive yet, lots of life but the vis was kinda milky with the sponges spawning and doing their thing. The water looked as clear as I've seen it here yesterday off Juno Pier, hope it holds through the weekend!

Went out on Emerald today; our first dive was a try at finding that white shark. We went out a little deeper than usual - about the 200-foot line, descending to just past 110 and working our way up chumming. No dice on the white shark, but we did get two reluctant sandbars, a frisky silky, and a big dusky.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom