Uncle Pug goes to Fiji ~ discussion thread open for posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks thank you so much for the good info... and for the ribbing too... it let's me know you love me. :D

I actually have done warm (to me) water dives before but it's been a while. The first trip to Maui in the 80s I just wore my swim trunks and a T-shirt. The other trips I wore a one piece 3 mil without hood or gloves but with neo boots so I could use my jet fins. At that time I was using a Zeagle Ranger and did need a weight belt but can't remember at all how much was on it.

I had planned to take the 3 mil (yes it still fits :D ) and my SS 6# BP with either an 18# wing or my 27# (thanks Bob for the offer of the Aluminum BP... I don't know if that is necessary or not... I wondered about it though.) I also planned on taking my Apeks but replacing the long hose with a 40", taking off the drysuit inflation hose and converting it to yoke (thanks Snowbear for the converter.) I was expecting AL80s with yoke valves... is this the case? I wasn't planning on taking the 21w HID. But I guess taking a smaller flash light is a good idea.

As for who we are diving with or where... or even where I am staying... or what I am eating... I have absolutely no idea whatsoever... all I know is that I now have a passport and airline tickets from Seattle to LA and from LA to someplace in Fiji. :D

Folks again thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate the suggestion of sunscreen, sunglasses and hat (I wish I had one of Dee's rags! :wink: ) As for clothes... I will be packing light... a couple of ScubaBoard shirts, swim trunks and my sandles... maybe a pair of long pants too. Thanks for the tip on bringing paper back books!

Even though I wasn't able to respond directly to each post here I want you to know I appreciate your suggestions and as a warm water n00bie I am paying attention:

Now to order that #441 and per Amy's advice go spend some time on the waterbed.

Another pertinent question. I would like to start a thread to post a daily trip report here on SB. To that end... if I take my laptop is there WiFi or other means of connecting to the internet in Fiji. What about the AC power there... is it the same as here or different?

Just checked my laptop and it accepts 110-240v 50~60 cycle AC... so all I will need in that regard is an adapter! Connecting to the internet might not be possible with it but at least I can keep my journal on it.

Thanks Jeff for the link. Wow... if I can find hi-speed for $3 and hour that would be great!

Uncle Pug:
Just checked my laptop and it accepts 110-240v 50~60 cycle AC... so all I will need in that regard is an adapter!

Check out radio shack. I have a 'foreign travel voltage converter' which is a universal converter for a bunch of different countries. It's great for those little things you don't think of like your electric razor and stuff. Just be sure to check the wattage before plugging something into it.

You can find travel shops at the mall that will carry the cheap adaptors... Also if you are in a tourist neck of the woods, you'll often be able to find adaptors when you are there.

I would try to find where you are staying and look, it's very possible they have US outlets, expecially for a tourist destination. They may have adaptors available. Remember to think ahead of everything you have.... like battery recharging.

Oh...one more thing...watch your dive time...you'll take FOREVER to drain a tank in the warm water...sigh...

Have a great time!

Uncle Pug:
Sheesh.... I need real advice here folks.... how am I going to cope with warm water when all my experience is with cold water low viz!

I'm kinda partial to #441. :D

Pack all of your belongings and take them with you so you because you probably won't want to go back to the cold, low vis conditions. I was born in Ohio and when I landed in Hawaii for the first time, it took me about ten seconds do decide not to go back to Ohio. You're going to love it. Have fun. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom