UnderArmour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well... it's the bubbles of air trapped in the neoprene that provide the real insulation,
so... if you're cold in a wetsuit, you need to get a thicker wetsuit

also, ArticDiver is right... i am a cold wus, and wearing a hood makes a HUGE
difference for me

I must be missing something. I thought it was called a wetsuit because it allowed a thin layer of water to enter and that as your body warmed the water it kept you reasonably warm as long as the water was not constantly circulating into and out of the suit. In other words, get a good fitting suit.

VaDiver:
I must be missing something. I thought it was called a wetsuit because it allowed a thin layer of water to enter and that as your body warmed the water it kept you reasonably warm as long as the water was not constantly circulating into and out of the suit. In other words, get a good fitting suit.

Yes - it allows a think layer of water next to your skin. But the key here is 'allows.' It's not encouraged.

Don't think of it as warm water next to your skin keeping you warm, think of it as your body having to do less work by ONLY having to warm up a thin layer of water.

Gac:
and oh yea, I have a 3/2 full WS. Generally I'm a pretty warm guy with good cardiovascular circulation. I have not yet been diving in water <70 F. Based on general recommendations from suit thinkness, I would be on the thin side already on the 70F mark. If I add a 5/4 hooded vest over (or under?) my 3/2 WS, what would the effective thinkness be? Just 5+3? Or would I loose some heat insulation in the layering?

Ty
Dollar for dollar, a hooded vest is probably the best add-on.

A wetsuit diver loses heat through two main paths, water exchange and conduction through the suit. (He also exhales a bunch of heat, but we will ignore that for the moment.) A hooded vest forces water to take a much longer path to get in or out of the neck and upper part of the zipper and it adds thickness, so you gain both ways.

I chuckle at the thought of people wearing underarmour for dive warmth. I wear it under my bulletproof vest to keep me cool! It wicks moisture away and is supposed to make that vest more comfortable in the heat. Too funny.....

PS. the name (armour) is because it is designed for body armour.

Allison Finch:

I never thought about it this way, but I guess football players wear it since they are being driven into the ground and it keeps from getting many cuts, scrapes etc.

Allison Finch:
I chuckle at the thought of people wearing underarmour for dive warmth. I wear it under my bulletproof vest to keep me cool! It wicks moisture away and is supposed to make that vest more comfortable in the heat. Too funny.....

Yea, I wear the gear under my summer athletic attire, too. Of course, that's the HeatGear model of their apparael for that warm uses...:mostlysun:cool: :sunny :icosm03:

TCB:
Actually, it was designed by a college football player who got tired of having to change his cotton t-shirts repeatedly: Under Armour History
What a crock of a story.

No one (except maybe a few dumb college players) was wearing cotton T-shirts for football. Under Armor is simply the latest heavily marketed line of synthetic sports apparel. There's nothing very special about it, despite what they want you to think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom