Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 5'11 and roughly 150 lbs, probably lighter. I have skinny little chicken legs and my arms are more pipe cleaners than big guns. Having said that,... I eat at mcdonalds constantly. I can put away more twinkies in one sitting than Rosie Odonnel can in a week. I eat ReddiWhip by the can. I think Cheez-wiz can be an acceptable main course, and ketchup is a vegetable. I stuff pez candies into chunks of snickers bars and serve them as orderves (they're called "stuffed snickers," and my mom hates it when i do that). Oh, and i haven't exercised in the last 7 years or so. What i'm saying is, dive with the fat guy. I'm liable to die of a massive heart attack any minute. Being skinny is no indication of health. Oh, and if a diver is obese, at least they are doing something active to try to improve their situation. My hat is off to them.

catherine96821:
Wait till your genes are mapped and part of your medical record...
Just check "no" on the dive operator's questionnaire when it asks you about defects in the D21S56 gene.:D

lol...I was going to say something along those lines, but resisted.

RESIST NOW, PEOPLE!--- Protect your medical information!

I think there is a new genetic marker for CV disease getting lots of buzz for predicting your future....National Geographic last month.

...where does it end once we allow business enterprises to cherry pick customers in the name of "limiting liability?"

Buddies with waivers, medical questionaires served up on the boat. Soon, people will dive with lawyers. How about redundant lawyers?

Like a bad science fiction movie.

catherine96821:
It was suggested that this is the beginning of a national trend. BMI's while not accurate and "fair" to everyone may very well be utilized if the numbers support the overall premise.
If you've a "good" BMI, you're "good" not "bad", if you've a "bad" BMI, you may be "bad" or you may be "good."

Thalassamania:
If you've a "good" BMI, you're "good" not "bad", if you've a "bad" BMI, you may be "bad" or you may be "good."

I think that more progressive companies are modifying the BMI as a Healthy vs. Unhealthy determinent. On my last PHA they wanted to know such things as body type, bone structure, etc. The accompanying comments of "Needing Further Testing" included those with very low BMI's with those who were clinically obese.

So, too thin is just as bad as too fat according to that criteria.

catherine96821:
... How about redundant lawyers? ...
OMG Catherine... the nightmare of all nightmares!
AAaarrrggghhhhhhh!
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom