Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a new drysuit undergarment for cold water diving, aka 40*F water temperature. This might not be cold for some you guys and gals, but for this Texas guy, 40*F water is very cold. I usually wear Under Armour Heat Gear next to my skin, then Waterproof's dual layer undergarment, and 4th Elements Arctic undergarment on top. I can stay for about 1 hour in the water, until I get cold, but my problem is the 40lbs of lead, and the lost of dexterity with 2 thick undergarments.

I am thinking of getting the Santi BZ400 undergarments, but reluctant to buy because if it does not work, what else do I try.

i cant speak to cold water but i have used the bz400 on exposures in the neighborhood of 4 hours or so.
works great. it's an awesome undergarment and flexibility and fit and finish on it are top notch

Heated vest? :)

Never tried the Santi undersuit, but have heard good things about it.
I have an old Northern Diver Flectalon 300 and it's surprisingly ok. Don't know how their new models are, but probably not the top choices I'd make... I'm quite interested in the 4th Element Halo 3D.
Anyway, I have dived in (googling Celsius to Fahrenheit...) 36.6F without any problems, although not long dive, and 41F min temperature for 72 minutes also without noticing the cold. Under it I have a thin base layer and a merino wool top, which I think makes a big difference without adding much bulk.

I was just in the water for 3 hours with a short interval for lunch followed by over 2 hours in 34 F - 55 F in Fourth Element Arctic with DUI TLS-350 during a film project. I knew it would be a long, cold day and wanted to try the Halo3D, but the shop didn't carry it. I bought new Arctic instead and wore it without my Xerotherm layer. I, too, am interested in the Halo.

You may want to examine the fit and quality of the hood you are using and add electric heat rather than layer to the point that you are annoyed by extra lead and lack of dexterity.

At those temps I suspect even the 400gm will be inadequate for more than an hour as well. I would look into a better hood (Otter Bay makes a great 12mm one) and suit heat. Something around 50W would extend your comfort level considerably, although be mindful that if it fails you will freeze quick.

What's your glove situation?

Proper hood, 400g undergarment, good base layer (I'm a fan of Patagonia capilene 3 and underarmour cold gear), argon w/ suit flush, dry gloves, and a a heated vest would be my move for cold water business.

UA Heat gear isn't really the best choice for insulation, iirc.

The Santi 400g undergarment is a really good choice, along with a good base layer (it seems that I am copying PfcAJ). Make sure that your hood fits well, also. The 7/9mm Santi hood is nice and toasty. I can tell you that if your hood is too loose, you will have a very rude awakening (ask me how I know). :wink:

Along with a good base layer, you can also add a vest (heated, or not), good dry glove liners, and dry gloves.

I get cold easily, and I wear the following, in 37F water temperatures (under ice), for up to an hour of bottom time:

- Santi BZ400
- Base layer (mine is from WalMart, and is actually not bad, but there are other nicer brands)
- Thinsulate glove liners
- Blue Gloves (DC rings - if that matters)
- DUI or Santi booties
- Santi 7/9mm hood

I haven't tried the newer 4th Elements, but I do have the Arctics and Xerotherms. They are awesome undies, but not quite warm enough for those water temps. I use Arctic top and Xerotherm bottoms in 77F water temps (bottom times of 3 to 4 hours).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom