Understanding proper gas usage in regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is primarily that reason why EAN valves are slowly opened or damn well should be; and, ignoring that very safeguard, was the reason, I should think, for that partial ignition . . .

It's a good idea to open any HP valve slowly, as ignition is not the only problem that could come up.

Bob

But few really do . . .

This thread brings me to the topic of my recently purchased Apeks XL4+ regulator. I am reading it's manual and at the front it says:

WARNING: If the regulator that you use is fitted with a yoke or DIN connection, it is designed for use only with compressed breathing air (21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen) which meets the EN 12021 standard. DO NOT USE this equipment with other mixtures or with gases containing more than 21% oxygen. Disregarding this rule could result in serious injury or death caused by fire or explosion.

But then later it says something contradictory:

Enriched Air Nitrox Use –
Outside EEC (European Economic Community) Countries
Your Apeks regulator has been prepared for use with Enriched Air Nitrox (EAN) where the percentage of oxygen in the EAN does not exceed 40%.

Can anyone decipher this lawyer's talk?? What's the thing with "yoke" or "DIN" used for air only?? And what is this “outside EEC”?

Enriched Air Nitrox Use –
Outside EEC (European Economic Community) Countries
Your Apeks regulator has been prepared for use with Enriched Air Nitrox (EAN) where the percentage of oxygen in the EAN does not exceed 40%.

Can anyone decipher this lawyer's talk?? What's the thing with "yoke" or "DIN" used for air only?? And what is this “outside EEC”?

I would venture to say that Oakland is well outside the EEC; and that your blanket manual was meant to address customers, both in Oaktown, and the EU. I have seen similar documentation for different markets; though the "yoke" and "DIN" language is a bit opaque. Perhaps they'd like you to duct tape you regulator to a tank . . .

So you can use Nitrox outside the EEC but not inside EEC? None of the above makes any sense to me.

The manual is a bit schizoid, and attempting appeal to different markets. My guess is that those within the EU are suitable for air only, with nitrile o-rings; while those distributed here are EAN ready, with more expensive viton o-rings. Items for export are often different or altered than those sold within a given country . .

The manual is a bit schizoid, and attempting appeal to different markets. My guess is that those within the EU are suitable for air only, with nitrile o-rings; while those distributed here are EAN ready, with more expensive viton o-rings. Items for export are often different or altered than those sold within a given country . .
Nope. It's exactly the same reg. The labeling is to meet EU regulations which require that any enriched oxygen mixture be used only with 02 clean equipment.

The UK version of the same manual has this gobbledegook:

Enriched Air Nitrox Use – Inside EEC (European Economic
Community ) countries EN 144-3 and EN13949
In CEE countries, diving with Nitrox/O2 is controlled by Standards EN
144-3 – Respiratory protective devices - Gas cylinder valves - Part 3:
Outlet connections for diving gases Nitrox and oxygen - and EN13949 –
Respiratory equipment - Open circuit self-contained diving apparatus for
use with compressed Nitrox and oxygen - requirements, testing, marking.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers . . ."

-- Shakespeare, Henry VI

In the EU all nitrox tanks must use a completely different valve, it is like DIN but a little larger. If you look on the Apeks website you will see nitrox regs, those have the that different fitting for those valves.

Which is confusing to everyone else as those nitrox regs have green second stages, which is typically only used on deco regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom