Undersuits!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone help me with regard to undersuits.

I am in motion of buying membrane Drysuit and was going to buy the 200gram thinsulate one but friends have told me to buy the 100gram thinsulate undersuit as the 200gram is too hot.

Diving in North Atlantic Waters all year most of the time.

Any ideas? Thanks Ro

My personal preference is to use Fourth Element Xerotherm for the warmer dives and the Arctic for the colder ones. You can also layer it by adding a Fourth Element vest if you feel a little cold.

Andy

It wiuld be helpful if you could tell us what your average water temp is. 100 gram suits are not a lot of insulation, 200 is ok for moderately colder water, but if you're diving in water that's consistantly in the low 50's or colder, you may want to go to a 300 or 400 undergarment. Normally, diving a drysuit means that you are in colder water, for longer periods, and the cold will seep in on you. Everyone is a little diferent, but on the whole if you're going to buy expensive undergarments, it's better to err on the side of caution, and buy warmer, rather than regreting it later. If you have a friend that could loan you a set you could give them a try first. Then make a more informed decision based on your own comfort.

ronanm98:
Hi,

can anyone help me with regard to undersuits.

I am in motion of buying membrane Drysuit and was going to buy the 200gram thinsulate one but friends have told me to buy the 100gram thinsulate undersuit as the 200gram is too hot.

Diving in North Atlantic Waters all year most of the time.

Any ideas? Thanks Ro

100G (Bare T-100) has been nice down to 38F so far for me but I'm diving a 7mm neoprene suit. In a membrane I'd surely go for with a heavier jumpsuit and/or add a layering item.

Pete

Ronan,

They're talking bollocks when it comes to all year round diving - go for the 200g and/or Xerotherm(a Polartec wicking layer) or a Xerotherm Arctic without the undersuit.

If it gets really warm just use the Xerotherm on its own.

I was diving last night in a 400g and Xerotherm and was starting to get cold after 30 mins (5C) .

I myself would go with a 200 gr thinsulate undergarment at a minimum. The 100gr stuff can be had by cheap thermal underwear and there's no need to buy something expensive for it.

I'd base my decision on the temps I'm going to run into most. IMO being too hot is just as bad as being too cold, my air consumption goes through the roof when I get overheated and I start feeling bad. Having a couple undergarments is a good idea, maybe a 100 and a 200 would be perfect because you can layer them.

dbg40:
It wiuld be helpful if you could tell us what your average water temp is. 100 gram suits are not a lot of insulation, 200 is ok for moderately colder water, but if you're diving in water that's consistantly in the low 50's or colder, you may want to go to a 300 or 400 undergarment. Normally, diving a drysuit means that you are in colder water, for longer periods, and the cold will seep in on you. Everyone is a little diferent, but on the whole if you're going to buy expensive undergarments, it's better to err on the side of caution, and buy warmer, rather than regreting it later. If you have a friend that could loan you a set you could give them a try first. Then make a more informed decision based on your own comfort.
i couldnt agree more!!!! i use a 300gm in south missouri

dbg40:

I also agree. Heck, I get very cold using 400 thinsulate in 50 or lower degrees and I am of medium build and not skinny. I have not yet found a magic set of undies that will keep me warm in temps below 50 and God knows I have tried them all. I use a DUI TLS350 and will probably buy a neo dry suit the next time. Not as many complaints about the cold from neo users.

Scubadobadoo,
By the sound of it we might be of the same sort of build - have you tried the Xerotherm wicking layer? The basic Xerotherm is pretty warm (about 70g worth of Polartec) has superb wicking properties, is flexible and works well down to about 5C.
It's expensive but worth it -this might be worth importing so here's a link if you are interested.

http://www.dive-tech.co.uk/fourth element.htm

I was in the water last weekend in 4C and with a 400g clone and the Xerotherm it was manageable. I'd be lying if I said I was toasty but it wasn't unpleasant.

Scubadobadoo,

Can you tell me your weight and build? Medium doesn't come across to me. I myself weigh 180 lbs and I'm 6'. In the temps you describe I can't use a 400 gr suit, I don't consider myself fat although I do have some extra padding. I'm curious what makes you so different from myself and most of my buddies. We all dive shell suits, I a Viking and they dive DUI and Bare, none of us use a 400 gr undergarment either. They do admit to being a bit chilled when I'm still comfortable but they're not cold and can do multiple dives easily. I'm not bragging, it's just that nobody I dive with feels the cold like you do.

I'm curious how your weight to height ratio is? I also wonder if you've ever dove a Viking undergarment, I find they're warmer than others of the same general design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom