Underwater Archaeology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone. I am trying to find as much information as I can about underwater archaeology and fossil collection. Ever since I got back in SC from USVI, I've been interested more in the history of the wrecks I dive and also in fossil collection. I'm going to try to do an underwater archaeology class here in Greenville if I can find one. I am also going to dive the Cooper River next month sometime hopefully. I just want to get as much info as I can because it has really started to interest me. Thanks everyone! :)

They are not exactly in your neighbourhood, but they may have some information that interests you or may be able to bring you in contact with organizations closer to you.

Their website is: www.chicagosite.org/uasc.htm
:snorkel:ScubaRon

this is a very informitive site, the "weez" knows all about the area and has some nice and funny stories of all his finds and theres a great post there that helps a great deal with questions, this guy is a super cool fellow and is willing to help with any questions you may have, land hunt or scuba he does both and may let you in on some of his areas check it out, i go there offten and he keeps is site current with new find and digs, this guy knows his fossils and how to get them

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/

hes in the charleston area

even has a lil geology information about formations to find

the hawthore formation is where the fossils are in charleston and the cooper river washes along that geological formation thats why the fossils are so abundant, here in beaufort county the formation you find the fossils in is called the duplin mar formation in wich or rivers here run over may river morgan river stoney creek, new river and so on

also a nice but complex search to do to find and locate fossil formations in particular areas in south carolina is visit the usgs site provided by the state and look over the surveys they compiled about geological info , theyll list how to distinguish these formations and what the contents are,...

remember that archiology is the study of man made history and fossils will be studied by paleontologist

forgive me for the spelling

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom