Underwater camera recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingKDawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need to upgrade my GoPro and get a camera I can take some serious pictures with. I own a Canon 7D and was looking into an Ikelite and strobe. I think I'd prefer to stay under $2K for a total package and have something that doesn't necessarily have to make the dive into a dedicated photo shoot (ie: slightly smaller). I did buy a Sealife a couple of years ago but it leaked on the second dive so I returned it. I've been looking at a Canon EOS 100 with the Ikelite and that looks like it can use strobes. Olympus cameras were also recently recommended. Thoughts?

Thanks,

KEN

Hey Ken,

Since you already have a Canon DSLR, you can either house that, or get the EOS 100D (AKA Rebel SL1) which would support your existing lenses with the Ikelite bundle, which is one of the best value deals you can find. I used that package for quite some time and absolutely loved it. It's closer to a mirrorless camera and housing is size and still focuses as fast as any DSLR with superb quality.
I just had some of my photos with that rig posted on Ikelite's website if you want to see some samples with different lenses: Gallery | Ran Mor Featured Photographer
It would support Ikelite strobes with TTL as well as any other strobe on manual mode.

Olympus's mirrorless bundles are also excellent, but then you have to carry two sets of gear with 2 bodies and 2 lens types (Olympus and Canon). If you are considering getting an Olympus mirrorless, I recommend transferring completely and selling the Canon system.

The 7D is getting a little older now to house, the same money spent housing an old camera can house the latest model. The 100D Ike packages would get you there, but there are limited lens choices.

For $2k you're probably not going to get an Olympus mirrorless, or really an Ike DSLR and a good strobe (like a DS160) and ports either. I think you'd be looking at an advanced compact camera and there are several to consider: The RX100II, Canon GX7, Panasonic LX100 all are very good cameras with larger sensors and sharp, fast lenses. There are several housings available. Remember that good lighting is as important as the camera and housing.

You might want to check out our Handbook: Choosing a Camera & Housing
We also have a review done by a customer comparing the SL1 and the RX100: A Beginner’s Dilemma – Canon SL1 vs. Sony RX 100

The 7D is getting a little older now to house, the same money spent housing an old camera can house the latest model. The 100D Ike packages would get you there, but there are limited lens choices.

For $2k you're probably not going to get an Olympus mirrorless, or really an Ike DSLR and a good strobe (like a DS160) and ports either. I think you'd be looking at an advanced compact camera and there are several to consider: The RX100II, Canon GX7, Panasonic LX100 all are very good cameras with larger sensors and sharp, fast lenses. There are several housings available. Remember that good lighting is as important as the camera and housing.

We also have a review done by a customer comparing the SL1 and the RX100: A Beginner’s Dilemma – Canon SL1 vs. Sony RX 100

Limited lens? I thought 7D shares the same lens as 100D?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While not addressing your question directly, I'd recommend checking out all the handbooks at Optical Ocean Sales. There is some great information that may help you with your purchase (and your photography)

I mis-spoke, I should of said limited "port" selections to fit available lenses. Ike has addressed this with some adapters for their DSLR ports to fit on the SL1, but then you are adding cost and bulk.

I also want something that can use dual strobes. My hesitancy with the 7D is that, other than the $1700 price of the housing, it seemed like the whole thing was pretty big. I think I want something slightly smaller, even though I want dual strobes. Since we're on the subject, how does a camera like the 7D or smaller, with dual strobes, effect bouyancy? Will I need less weight?

I need to upgrade my GoPro and get a camera I can take some serious pictures with. I own a Canon 7D and was looking into an Ikelite and strobe. I think I'd prefer to stay under $2K for a total package and have something that doesn't necessarily have to make the dive into a dedicated photo shoot (ie: slightly smaller). I did buy a Sealife a couple of years ago but it leaked on the second dive so I returned it. I've been looking at a Canon EOS 100 with the Ikelite and that looks like it can use strobes. Olympus cameras were also recently recommended. Thoughts?

Thanks,

KEN
Great video is trivial with normal gear (GoPro), great stills are very difficult, impossible without specialized gear ($$$$).

Serious pics require serious dollars. Your $2K budget will not even cover a serious tray-arm-dual strobe setup (https://www.opticaloceansales.com/i-das-tr-03-tray-sea-and-sea-double-ys-d1-package.html ), let alone housing, ports, lens...

So how serious are you? You first need to determine if you can / want to take serious photos. Stills are MUCH harder than video.

If you are just starting out with underwater stills I always recommend getting a used P&S camera and housing ($100 - $300 on ebay). This will let you capture great quality "happy snaps" and a great base to start learning with. Consider the camera as disposable if you want advance to more serious shots.

You can add on a serious tray-arm-strobe combo (about $1000) that can later be be upgraded with an additional strobe.

You also need to decide what type of shots you want to capture. Different shots require different gear. If you want to get serious macro shots, be prepared to spend $500 just for a lens: https://www.opticaloceansales.com/nauticam-super-macro-converter.html

DSLR or Compact? Which way do you want to go? This also makes a difference. My dive buddy is happy with a used $200 P&S that will fit in a BCD pocket. A typical low end serious DSLR rig runs over $5k.

I think my main message is that there is a steep learning curve that many people do not embark upon until they have purchased the wrong gear for them. Start cheap & learn.

Lots of good advice but I am of the simple is best mentality. For now I think the Canon SL1 which 99% of lenses UW shooters would use can work in the Ikelite small housing is a best buy.

For a compact camera the Canon G7X I shot 3 weeks ago and reviews at Ikelite | Underwater Camera Housings, Strobes, Flashlights and Accessories is tops. Super fast AF with a 1" sensor of 20.2 MP and Canon's easy to use menus including one touch white balance for HD video or still available light shooting.

Just one guy's opinion gleaned from actual use :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Lots of good advice but I am of the simple is best mentality. For now I think the Canon SL1 which 99% of lenses UW shooters would use can work in the Ikelite small housing is a best buy.

For a compact camera the Canon G7X I shot 3 weeks ago and reviews at Ikelite | Underwater Camera Housings, Strobes, Flashlights and Accessories is tops. Super fast AF with a 1" sensor of 20.2 MP and Canon's easy to use menus including one touch white balance for HD video or still available light shooting.

Just one guy's opinion gleaned from actual use :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

How is the video capabilities? Does it auto focus when you are taking a video and you do panning?

I am currently using G12, and I am quite pleased with it currently, but the video mode is crap, therefore I have a gopro attached to the tray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom