Underwater Case for Gopro...The ultimate test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank Jig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been working on an underwater case for GoPro for extreme depth.
My target was around 2500-3000ft (1000m).
Since it's a long boat ride for me to reach 3000ft, I sent the case to an outfit that specializes in ROV building and extreme depth equipment.
Yesterday they called me and said it passed at 3000ft. While i was really excited, I asked them if they could run another set of tests to see at what point the camera case would fail.
They called today. My jaw dropped to the ground when they told that it did not leak/deform until it reached 6300PSI. That's 14,000ft deep (2.6 MILES deep ((4.25km)).

While i won't shoot any video that deep soon, shooting videos 2000-3000ft deep will happen in the very near future...

Anyone else into deep sea exploration?

You must have some serious light because the gopro does not do well at all with out a lot of light. Even in the cenotes with 5 lights on it is still grainy.

Anyone else into deep sea exploration?

Frank, given that you're in Port St Lucie, you might know Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. I worked on a project with them right after the GoM BP oil spill and got the chance to dive on their submersible, the JSL-II. We collected some samples at about 800 ft deep near Key West, pitch black and darn cold at that depth. There's one experience not to be forgotten!

The JSL is now retired, but it was a manned submersible that could carry 2 pilots and 2 scientists, 3000 ft (~1000 m) rated. They might have some pressure test chamber there on your backyard as they now work on other smaller equipment, such as ROVs.

i-a13c47835879953bd1fad3ba4b35517d-JSL.jpg

Good luck! Send us some pics.

You must have some serious light because the gopro does not do well at all with out a lot of light. Even in the cenotes with 5 lights on it is still grainy.
Indeed!.
Most scuba diving light manufacturers do not make anything that goes past 1000ft. We are in the process of designing a light that will go at least 10,000ft. Ideally the batteries would last at least 6 hours. And it has to be affordable....

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Frank, given that you're in Port St Lucie, you might know Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. I worked on a project with them right after the GoM BP oil spill and got the chance to dive on their submersible, the JSL-II. We collected some samples at about 800 ft deep near Key West, pitch black and darn cold at that depth. There's one experience not to be forgotten!

The JSL is now retired, but it was a manned submersible that could carry 2 pilots and 2 scientists, 3000 ft (~1000 m) rated. They might have some pressure test chamber there on your backyard as they now work on other smaller equipment, such as ROVs.

View attachment 136584

Good luck! Send us some pics.

Wow, talk about a great experience! I'm in contact with Harbor Branch as we speak. It's a fascinating place.
Here is a video of the case itself:
[video=youtube_share;OBvC3n7r0H0]http://youtu.be/OBvC3n7r0H0[/video]

Back
Top Bottom