Underwater Cellular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None, because cell phones, waterproof or not, won't work underwater. Radio frequency signals generally don't penetrate far into the water.
Very true, and I'm afraid that be the future impedement on underwater GPS, but who knows what the future may hold. I'm probably wrong, but doesn't it take a very low range frequency to make its way through a material as dense as water?

uptight stock broker closing deals at 100' wreck dives, bored teenages suffering from Gameboy withdrawl getting their fixes on OW cert dives, yah can't wait....This is the only place my cellphone & the WORLD can't reach me...

Always the optimist, I suppose this could be a potential emergency communication tool - perhaps better than shooting a bag and hoping someone sees - NEED AIR, TRAPPED...SEND PIZZA & GAS quick...

Had to pick myself back up off the floor after reading that price :eek: . From the sounds of things they have basically submerged GPS antanaes, but it will only work in an area they have submerged the GPS Receiving / NASNet Sending units. Did I understand that right?

Like all (most) underwater positioning systems it uses the speed of sound as a distance reference.

To date this has always been done by sending a signal from one beacon to another, getting a reply back and measuring the distance by travel time.

The NASNet system works by having an array of beacons continuously transmitting synchronised signals (like GPS satellites).

The reciever measures the relative timing of those signals and thus positions itself in the array, hence the analogy with GPS.

This is new stuff and only likely to be used to provide positioning in large subsea fields.

I hope that makes sense. I do ot know why their URL to the PDF description does not work.

Makes sense to me. It was basically what I thought, just minus the actuall interface with GPS signals. Oh well.

You do not need a direct interface to surface GPS. Each of the NASNet beacons is boxed in to precise (as possible) surface coordinates using a DGPS equiped surface vessel. Unlike satellites they stay still.

Once we have the coordinates of the beacons accurately placed in our surface coordinate system all underwater measurements of position are in that same coordinate system. The GPS becomes un-nessecary for subsea positioning at that point although we would still use it for positioning surface equipment due to speed of sound variations in the subsea positioning system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom