underwater filming video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get a housing for your video camera. If shooting shallow (as seen in the music video) with good ambient light, then an underwater filter (red) will help retain natural coloration. Some lighting on the camera can help if you need to fill in the foreground.

Shooting upwards, as shown, can be more difficult as the videographer will respire bubbles. So, either take shorter sequences (edit between exhalations) or go a step further an equip with a rebreather.

It looks like he's maybe shooting with a housed DSLR - judging from the fact that they are on the surface shots. It could even be a better point/shoot though, a lot of models in the $2-300 range now do 1080P HD. Doesn't appear to be a particularly wide angle lens on the housing though from the brief view you get when he pulls the cap.

4:24-4:28 here: Yana Kay - making of PALOMA video (behind the scenes) - YouTube

Although it might be a fisheye - notice the circularity behind her in the shot of the surface around 3:47 in the original video.

A GoPro Hero HD2 - http://gopro.com/ at 170o FOV should give a similar result - IDK as I don't shoot one. It also has a 127o FOV option. Watch the promo video on their website, there's some good w/a footage including brief segments u/w.

The whole package will set you back about $300 + accessories. The included housing is good to 60M. It's a tiny camera so get some sort of arm/tray combo for stability. The GoPro and options are currently being discussed in several threads in the Underwater Videography forum.

Looks like all natural light so you don't need any lighting. All the fades/dissolves etc. in the original video are done in editing. I don't think they used a red filter - that close to the surface in bright greenish water like that everything would be yellowed. I flip mine out of the way above 15' in blue Caribbean locations.

Last edited:
agree...obviously they filmed everything on canon 5 or 7 or nikon. but i suppose to get a gopro camera, it's not expensive comparing to dslr

agree...obviously they filmed everything on canon 5 or 7 or nikon. but i suppose to get a gopro camera, it's not expensive comparing to dslr

Note that you will need an extra 3rd party "blurfix" housing for the GoPro, as the UW housing that it comes with will give you video that's slightly out of focus. That was part of the reason why I chose a Contour camera instead - it doesn't come with an UW housing, but the stock Contour housing works well and delivers sharp images. I managed to save a bit of $$$ this way.

As much as I love my gopro camera if I was going to buy a camera just for diving it would not be the gopro. It is so limited and like above post it needs extra parts to work good underwater. My friend got a camera with casing for $800 that can zoom in and out and had a red eye lens. Not sure the make and model but shop around and get the best deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom